cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems running backup

ekwang
Level 3
Hello,

This problem existed in v7x of BESR, but on my XP MCE workstation, I have been having problem running incremental updates to my primary initial image. It'll tell me that it's creating a recovery point and that it is comparing volume data for at least a couple of hours and it never makes any progress. From time to time I'll make a one time back up image which takes a few hours, but the incremental backups have been failing me.

Any help is welcomed!

Eric
1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You may want to look in doing the following:

(1) In task manager stop VPROTRAY.EXE

(2) In windows Services stop the Backup Exec System Recovery service (i.e. VPROSVC.EXE).

(3) Move, delete, the sub-folder of the current image files for this client at the storage location.

(4) back on the client use Windows explorer to remove *.PQJ files located in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Schedule sub-folder & possibly in the location \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\Schedule

(5) Use Windows explorer to remove *.PQH files located in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\History sub-folder and possibly in the location C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\History

(6) Delete the Vsnap.idx file located at the root of the system volume; this may be a hidden file on your system.

(7) In windows Services start the Backup Exec System Recovery service (i.e. VPROSVC.EXE).

(8) Use Windows explorer to start VPROTRAY.EXE located in the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent sub-folder.

(9) Start Backup Exec System Recovery and recreate your backup job.

(10) Verify that image files are able to be created on schedule without error.

(11) Once a new baseline has been formed see if a manual incremental update can be created by doing the following:

• Launch Backup Exec System Recovery by clicking Start > All Programs > Symantec > Backup Exec System Recovery
  • Click Advance left hand menu option.
  • Click the Backup Jobs tab.
  • Right click the Recovery point set job from which an incremental recovery point is to be made by.
  • Click Run Backup With Option… menu option.
  • Select the Incremental recovery point of recent changes radial option.
  • Click OK to start the incremental creation.

(12) If you are unable to run the un-schedule incremental update or the option appear to be grayed out please respond with your observations. However, if you are successful in running an incremental update allow the schedule to run an update as planed to verify create job creation.