cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure to boot from cloned disk

Information_S6
Level 3

Good morning. Currently we are in search for procedure to make cloned C drive using SSR2013. 

We have 1 PC (x64, Windows 8.1), which we have to create a clone, to use it as emergency replacement of the production desktop PC. 

The backup image of C: drive has been taken using SSR2013 (installed on C:). Image is stored in 1 aditional SSD attached via SATA cable on the motherboard. This SSD is re-plugged into the backup PC. 

I have used drive-based backup in SSR2013 via Easy Setup dialogue box. (Backup my computer > In Drives Panel, selecing C: drive.) 

The plan is to use SSR disk to boot to the backup PC, and restore the image, stored in the SSD attached via SATA cable. However; does it boot if we complete the recovery process? Do we need doing any MBR-related operations?

I would be grateful if you possibly could indicate any resources, technical note, or procedural steps. 

I would apreciate for your suppport in advance. 

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If the hardware of the backup PC is identical, yes. Just point to the image on the SSD as source for the restore. If the hardware of the backup pc is not identical you need to enable the restore anywhere feature. This should take care of the rest.

Information_S6
Level 3

I appreciate for your feedback. We attempted two methods: 

1. Backup from Widnows SSR2013, copy my harddrive option, and stored the image file on a separate SSD. Moving this SSD to a backup (HP Elite 7500 Series MT, which is identical configuration to the production PC.) However, restore option from SSR recovery disk did not run for recovery.
    • The error message was:  Error EBAB03EA: Internal Aplication Error: Memory Access Violation C0000005: Aplication Tried To Write Memory At 00000110.
  2. We have attempted cloning harddisk. From Windows SSR2013, Copy My Harddrive option was executed. The copied harddisk was re-connected to the backup PC, but the PC does not recognize the harddrive as UEFI, and does not boot. 

Both procedure was followed as attached steps, however; without success.

I would appreciate for your feedback if any.

*Some screen shots in the attachment has been taken from Symantec KB on non-commercial basis. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

The error in the first approach looks like a problem with the SRD. Which version do you use? Multilingual oder english only?

The error in the second approach: Try selecting the restore anywhere feature.

Information_S6
Level 3

I appreciate for your feedback. Internal discussion revealed a fault in initial backup. We ought to have had selected 'Show hidden partitions' where we ought to select EFI partition. We did not. Late next week, we would attempt to clone again, and feed you back on this matter. 

I woudl be grateful for your further comments in advance. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Sounds good so far - please keep us posted!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?

Information_S6
Level 3

Thanks for follow up. Succeeded in cloning and is working since then. I appreciate for followup. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Great ! May I kindley ask you to mark this post as solved then?

Markus