cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about missed backups

mopperle01
Level 3

Running the latest version of SSR I have the following question:

I'v set up a schedule doing an incremental backup from Monday to Thursday and a full backup on Friday. From time to time it happens that the full backup is not done (e.g. workstation off etc.). Next time I'm asked to do the missed backup and answering Yes, not the full backup will run, but an incremental one. Same, when forcing manually to do a missed backup.

Is there a solution for this problem?

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

This may be working by design (I'm not sure, will have to check on this..).

What is your main concern here? Main issue that I can see is that you will have a lot more incremental backups which could mean potentially running out of disk space on your backup destination folder.

mopperle01
Level 3

Yes, diskspace might be one concern, but in case of a recovery a full backup + a max of 4 incrmental is IMHO easier to handle and faster then may be 1 full backup + 15 incrementals

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm going to check on this and will get back to you once I receive some confirmation on whether this is a defect or if it is working by design.

mopperle01
Level 3

Any news on this?

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, I have confirmed with our engineering team that this is actually working by design. SSR wont detect if the missed backup was a full or incremental so it just runs whatever is scheduled for that day.

If you would like to see this design changed, please add your comments here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas