cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about BE system recovery management console - Communication with Clients

MathewJ
Level 3

Hello,

I had a few questions about Backup Exec System Recovery Management console and was hoping that you guys could help out.

Currently we have one HP Windows 2003 server running the Management console version 7 and about 80 client machines reporting in. I am trying to build a case with my department director that it is imperative that we also get a copy of Backup Exec server edition to image the console server however I have come into some friction as Tivoli storage manager is the company standard and the director cannot understand why another alternative solution would be necessary.

I was wondering specificially:

1. Am I correct in assuming that if the Management console server fails or is corrupted, and  if you reinstall the Console software on a freshly built server, the only way to get the existing clients back into the console is by reinstalling the management service component on every client?

2. How do the clients initiate and maintain communication with the console? I know that when you install the management service on the system it will start to talk to the console, but I assume it isn't like a key server or even like Norton Antivirus as there doesn't appear to be any field that you fill in to tell it where its management console resides.

3. Is the only way to truly backup the console system by periodically creating an image of it (which is what I assume) and that a data only backup like Tivoli won't be able to recover the console system?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Message Edited by Mathew J on 07-25-200708:14 PM

1 REPLY 1

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Communication between the BESR clients and the BESRM server is first established when the clients install Management Control.  The Management Control package created by the BESRM server contains all the "phone home" information needed by the client system(s) to know where the BESRM server is.

Most communication from that point on is from client to server.

Here are a couple of ways to have existing BESR clients that are or have been managed by a BESRM server to redirect their communications to a new BESRM server.

1.  Reinstall Management Control using a Management Control package from the new server (new "phone home' info)

2.  Use the "PublisherUI.exe" utility located on the client systems to tell the client the name or IP address of the new BESRM server.  Simply enther the new BESRM server info and click "save".

Thanks.