cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDX Removable SATA Cartridges & BESR Methodology

Michael_Mills
Level 3
I need help devising the right method to match the media.

I have:
an RDX Drive (160GB Cartridges)
An Off-Site FTP server
Server with approx 80GB of Data all told.

I have been trying to rotate the cartridges once a week or so, but after a month or so, I seem to have muddy tapes with backups that exist on the cart, but not in the BESR software (due to automatic cleaning) & the problem that the backups won't run because the media is full.

I have to manually clean the backups off the cartridge and they are fine again for a wile.

What is the best way to have rotational RDX media combined with the off-site FTP for small businesses?

(A Historical one month period would be brilliant)

Thanks in advance,
Michael
2 REPLIES 2

Michael_Mills
Level 3

Does anyone have this particular set-up besides me?  Anyone?

Please let me know even if you haven't found a decent solution, but are looking for one.  This way I will know that I am not alone in the black hole of IT backup solutions that I currently feel gravitationally tugging at my tricks up the arm-sleve.

marcogsp
Level 6
I don't have your setup, but I would encourage you to read AndrewPBG's post linked below.  His specific references are to external USB drives, but  I think any hard drive based media that is being rotated would benefit.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/howto-usb-drive-rotation-besr-70-85

Supposedly several off site FTP issues were addressed in version 8.5.5, so I would encourage using that version for the best  results.

Do you always prform a full backup, or are incrementals involved too?  This is important to know before suggesting a combined solution