cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RP Cleanup

jtburnett
Level 4

Hi

I just completed a new monthly base. It's set to delete old restore points. The attached pic shows the new Drive003 ones, but it also has (2) Drive002_i017 ones. Logic suggests that I can safely delete these 2 old files, but I've been tripped-up using logic before. Can I safely delete them? Using Windows Explorer? They don't show up in SSR's Console 'Manage Destination'.

Why does this scenario happen? It seems to happen every month's new base, sometimes leaving even more incremental files than this.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes you can delete the recovery points since they are not available in "Manage Destination".

Are you swapping the drivers , it seems the recovery point Drive002_i017 are from Drive 2 and Drive003 are from Drive 3.

Do you have the option "Automatic Optimize Storage" option enabled ?

If the drivers are swapped you need to follow the best practices of having a "same Alias name" assigned to both the drivers.

jtburnett
Level 4

Thanks TRag

Er...Huh?? I don't speak Hungarian. :)  Swap drivers? I have 1 computer, 1 backup defination, and 1 destination drive. As I understand it, when a new job's 1st base is created, it will be Drive001 and then move up one number; 1st base backup- Drive001.v2i, Drive001_i001.iv2i... 2nd base- Drive002.v2i, Drive002_i002.iv2i... and so on. If you had the same job for 10 years, you'd have a Drive120.v2i as a new base, based on a new base every month.

Automatically Optimize is ticked/enabled.

I searched for 'Same Alias Name' but couldn't find, or didn't know what search return was relevernt for a home user.

Just remembered something though. I was backing up, incrementally last month, when it rebooted by itself. I looked in the Windows Event Viewer > Applications, filtered it to only show Symantec. I found at the time of the unexpected shutrdown, no warnings, or errors, but there were 3 informational events saying that, "drive C:, D:, and system reserved (*/) had completed sucessfully. THEN it rebooted. It was either a coincidence (hasn't done it again), and not due to SSR, or it might indicate that something went wonky during the 'end of job clean up.' I wonder if that happened when 017i was backing up? Would this explain why it was left, when all the other old RP's were automatically deleted?

Thank you

jtburnett
Level 4

Ah, of course. No, the only destination drive has a unique name- no swapping. It is a 4K sector drive though, if that makes any difference.

As far as the orphaned RP; it didn't reboot during the new monthly base (that left i017i), it rebooted half a month earlier, maybe on that day, but I'm thinking before history was written for that day? The drive is alway's connected- never removed

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I have 1 computer, 1 backup defination, and 1 destination drive

Can you explain a little more about the above statement ?

I searched for 'Same Alias Name' but couldn't find, or didn't know what search return was relevernt for a home user.

Alias name is the name assigned to the destination drive. This has to be same in case you have two drives where in you are using Drive 1 from Mon - Wed and Drive 2 from Thu - Sat. In that case the destination URL along with the drive letter and the name assigned to the drive must be same. That is what is called Swapping the drives.

I wonder if that happened when 017i was backing up? Would this explain why it was left, when all the other old RP's were automatically deleted?

A recovery point as such could be left behind for reasons like unexpected shutdown while it was trying to delete the older recovery points , may be the shutdown happened when the recovery points were getting deleted from the backup destination. Or the backup destination if an external USB drive is removed while it is trying to delete them.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is a 4K sector drive though, if that makes any difference.

If the destination is 4K sector , it shall be supported , however , I will request you to check the article for more reference

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143704

Even if the drive is always connected that's fine , because SSR deletes the recovery points from the destination in order to run the chain of storing a particular set.

may be you can delete it manually.

jtburnett
Level 4

Yes, I was able to manually remove the orphaned RP.

I've seen that tech note, but one thing I overlooked. I'm planning on replacing my 2nd internal drive to a 4TB. I thought if I got a Advanced 512 format, I could use it also for a source drive. No? Any idea when they might solve this problem?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for a late reply , there is no particular date for getting the issue resolved, may be with the upcoming update release this shall be resolved.