cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPC Failed Error

Tbinaz
Not applicable
Partner
I am trying to backup a Vista 32-bit Ultimate edition OS with BESR 8.0 to an external USB drive.  I upgraded BESR from the older version 7, and jobs ran fine.  I am able to schedule a job in the new BESR8 just fine, and jobs kick off both from the scheduled job manager and a manual kickoff.  However, every job I have started fails about 5-6 minutes into the job.  The Symantec error message says essentially that the RPC call failed, and that the service could not be contacted.  I get a Vista error also, which I have posted below.  I have reinstalled BESR twice, the second time including removing all the backup jobs/licenses/settings.

I am running an Optiplex 755 with a Seagate external USB drive

Can anyone help me decode the errors, and maybe provide a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: VProSvc.exe

Application Version: 8.0.1.24976

Application Timestamp: 47a516fd

Fault Module Name: VProImaging.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.0.1.24976

Fault Module Timestamp: 47a516bb

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0022aaee

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: aaa2

Additional Information 2: df90b9422a7a5190a18c19a382b38d06

Additional Information 3: aaa2

Additional Information 4: df90b9422a7a5190a18c19a382b38d06

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would see if running the fixinstall.bat (located in the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery sub-directory) from within a command prompt window allows the proper registration of our service and libraries; if you get an error message please note it.

Run the SMEdump and partinfo utilities  (located in the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\utility sub-directory) and see if an error is reported; in the SMEdump some errors can be ignored.

Do you get the same error message when backing up to a network share? Have you copied the recovery points created earlier from this USB drive to another drive long enough for you to reformat the USB drive and try the backup again; be sure that the BESR service is stopped on the system prior to your reformatting.