cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random changes to and failures of backup jobs

alex_rose
Level 4
I have 2 servers using BESR to backup to a DR server.

Sometimes the backup jobs will not run and there will be no entry for that day in the status page to say why, there will simply not be an icon there. Has anybody else come across this problem?

I've also had occasions when a new base image is scheduled to be created and it just does an incremental. When a base image is missed should it not be automatically scheduled for the next backup or does the software simply wait for the next scheduled base image (1 month in my case)? If it does not automatically do a base image on the next backup if it has missed doing one can this behaviour be implemented somehow - I do not want to have to keep checking these things manually.

Finally is there a way to increase the level of error/activity logging. I have 2 servers backing up each also being backed up to 2 offsite locations. I would like to be able to diagnose why I never get a day when both servers successfully back up to the onsite and both offsite locations. Each day there is at least one failure and each day it is different, how do I diagnose this using the tools provided with this software?
22 REPLIES 22

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

criley
Employee Accredited

Markus,

Yes, see my comment above. It was as follows:

We now have a pre-release fix for this issue. You'll need to open a case with Tech Support so that we can get this to you. The permanent fix is in SP2 which is due out around October time.

alex_rose
Level 4
Sorry folks, no updates as I've been on holiday.

One server now seems to be working OK. We'll find out on Friday whether it manages to remember that it's due to create a new base image.

The other server (the one that was giving me all the trouble with pushing out the remote agent) continues to give me trouble.

I had already tried the article Chris linked to above with no success. It now looks like the backup job/history data has become corrupt so it's a 05:00 start tomorrow morning to follow the instructions at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319439.htm

Maybe deleting everything and recreating the job (again) will fix it!

Thanks for the tip about the pre-release fix Chris - I'll have a think about contacting Tech Support after I see what happens tomorrow morning.