cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering D: drive and I have two D: drive files.. How to do this??

Cat_Adams
Level 5

I created a backup image of the D: drive on my server 19 days ago.  Then I did another backup for the D drive 8 hours ago.  I think that it only backed up what had changed on the D: drive because the image is much smaller.

We are putting larger drives in for the second array.  Currently I am doing a recovery using the backup image from 19 days ago.  How do I do the second recovery from 8 hours ago to just update the files that were changed??

Hope this makes sense.

Am doing this right now so any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cathy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Cathy,

The backup file created 8 hours ago will be an incremental backup(backing up only the changes) if the extension of the file is .iv2i
If the extension of the file is .v2i then it would be a full backup that was created 8 hours ago
Case 1 : Incase the backup file created 8 hours ago had the extension .iv2i you will need to cancel out the existing restore process and then redo the restore by making use of the file that was created 8 hours ago
In this way the server would be restored to a state that it was in 8 hours ago
Case 2: If the backup file created 8 hours ago had the extension .v2i then you will need to make use the this .v2i file to get the machine back to a state that it was in 8 hours
The restore process in Case 2 will not make use of the file that was created 19 days ago as both of them are full backups which are independent of each other
The restore process in Case 1 will make use both the files created 19 days ago and the one created 8 hours ago. The file created 8 hours ago is dependent on the other file as it backed up only the changes that were made to the drive

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Cathy,

The backup file created 8 hours ago will be an incremental backup(backing up only the changes) if the extension of the file is .iv2i
If the extension of the file is .v2i then it would be a full backup that was created 8 hours ago
Case 1 : Incase the backup file created 8 hours ago had the extension .iv2i you will need to cancel out the existing restore process and then redo the restore by making use of the file that was created 8 hours ago
In this way the server would be restored to a state that it was in 8 hours ago
Case 2: If the backup file created 8 hours ago had the extension .v2i then you will need to make use the this .v2i file to get the machine back to a state that it was in 8 hours
The restore process in Case 2 will not make use of the file that was created 19 days ago as both of them are full backups which are independent of each other
The restore process in Case 1 will make use both the files created 19 days ago and the one created 8 hours ago. The file created 8 hours ago is dependent on the other file as it backed up only the changes that were made to the drive

Hope that helps

Thanks

Cat_Adams
Level 5

Thank you so much.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Although it does sound backwards,  I understand the process now.

Thanks again and have a wonderful week.

Cathy