cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Point Set only creates a base

jbtsabw
Level 4

I am running Symantec Platform and Solutions version 7 SP5 (management server) and BESR 2010 SP2 on all the clients.  I am running Symantec Management Agent SP5.

Normal backup job is a recovery point set.  Base is created on Sat and incrementals are run M-F.

I have several Win2K3 servers that only create a base backup.  I have opened a case with Symantec.  They gave me an "orphan" patch.  This has not solved the problem.

I noticed the following in the .pqj scheduler file on the client:

<LastBackup vt="7"> 1/11/2011 23: 0:21</LastBackup><LastExpected vt="7"> 1/12/2011 23: 0:10</LastExpected>

If I change the LastExpected date to 1/14/2011 (or just advance it one day) for example, it will make an incremental when the job runs on the 13th.  However, the LastExpected date will be changed to 1/13/2011 when the job completes.  If left unchanged, a base will be created when the job runs again on the 13th.

12 REPLIES 12

jbtsabw
Level 4

The other thing that is happening is that when this job makes a base, it either names it acdb01_C_Drive001.v2i or acdb01_C_Drive001.v2i.  It alternates between the two names.

Btw, this job runs correctly if the system is removed from the management server and the job is created and run locally.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

A similar problem suddenly came up on monday with me too and i've filed a case with symantec too: The full backup should be done on friday and it suddenly started a full on monday, thuesday and yesterday. Let's see what Symantec support can do for me.

jbtsabw
Level 4

That's good to know.  I will also update this thread with any further information I get from Symantec on my case.

I can tell you that if we remove the MS from the equation and run job that is created on the client, we don't have this problem.  I believe this is manager related and not client related.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yep !

criley
Employee Accredited

I wonder if this is related to the following issue that was recently found?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147977

We should hopefully have a patch to resolve the above issue.

Markus; what is your case id?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

413-552-330

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, what are the two filenames ? The ones you posted are the same !

On one of my systems the filenames are acdb01_C_Drive003.v2i and acdb01_C_Drive003_i001.v2i

jbtsabw
Level 4

any progress on your case Markus?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Nop, and yours ?

criley
Employee Accredited

jbtsabw;

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I suspect the issue might be related to this issue: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147977. Have you installed the orphan for this issue yet? If not, you should try it to see if it helps.

jbtsabw
Level 4

The orphan patch did not fix the problem.

I beleive that one main problem was that we were replicating the restore point destination share to another site.  That other site had a restore point destination share for machines in that site.  We excluded the RPAM_store.dat from the replication.  I believe one file was overwriting the other and this was causing a lot of problems.

After that, I had to do the following steps to get these systems back on track.  These steps are more extensive than what is covered in the tech articles.  I did the best I had time for with the formatting, so I apologize for it ahead of time.

1.         Stop the Backup Exec System Recovery service.

2.         Stop the Symantec Management Agent service.

3.         Navigate to the client’s subfolder under the restore point destination.

3a)  Create a folder named save.

3b)  Move all .v2i and .iv2i files to the newly created save folder

4.         On the client, navigate to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\backup exec system recovery

4a.  Delete the following folders and files.

i)  History

ii)  Schedule

ii)  Logs

iv)  clientname.v2i

v)  Backup Exec System Recovery.notify.xml

vi)  RemoteComputers.xml

vii)  Settings.ini

5.         Move up one directory to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\

5a.  Delete the following folder.

i)  RPAM

6.         Navigate to C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Client Policies

6a.  Delete the following files.

i)  acpstm.SidleyAcct.com.username.xml

ii)  acpstm.SidleyAcct.com.xml

7.         Open the registry editor.

7a.  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec.

7b.  Delete the following registy keys if they exist.

i)  Backup Exec System Recovery Manager

ii)  Backup Exec System Recovery8.0BackUp

7c.  Exit the registry editor.

8.         Start the Backup Exec System Recovery service.

9.         Start the Syamantec Management Agent Service.

10.       Right-click on the Symantec Management Agent icon in the system tray

10a.  Choose Symantec Management Agent Settings.

10b.  Click on Update under the Configuration section. 

10c.  Click on Send under the Basic Inventory section.

11.       Open the local Backup Exec System Recovery console.

11a.  Click on the Backup Jobs Tab.

11b.  Click on the Run backup job with options link under the Tasks menu on the left.

11c.  Choose New Recovery Point Set and click OK.

12.       When the job completes, return to the Symantec Management Agent window.

12a.  Click on Send under the Basic Inventory section.

12b.  Click on Update under the Configuration section.

13.       Return to the Backup Exec System Recovery console.

13a.  Click on the Run backup job with options link under the Tasks menu on the left.

13b.  Choose Incremental recovery point of recent changes and click OK.

14.       When the job completes, return to the Symantec Management Agent window.

14a.  Click on Send under the Basic Inventory section.

14b.  Click on Update under the Configuration section.

15.       Navigate to the client’s subfolder under the restore point destination.

15a.  Verify that a base and an incremental were created and named correctly.

15b.  If the files were created correctly, delete the save folder created in step 3a.

16.       Verify the client is reporting correctly in the Management Solutions Console.

17.       On the client, navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\

17a.  Open the History folder.

i)  Open the .PQH file for the OS drive.

ii)  Search for .v2i and verify that the correct file names for the base exists.

ii) Verify that the timestamp listed in the lines preceding the file name is the current date.

iv)  Search for .iv2i and verify that the correct file name for the incremental exists.

v) Verify that the timestamp listed in the lines preceding the file name is the current date.

17b.  Open the Schedule folder.

i)  Open the .PQJ file (there should be only one).

ii)  Search for LastBackup and verify that the date is the current date.

iii)  Search for LastExpectedBackup and verify that the date is the next day.

18.  Close all files (if prompted to save, click no), folders, windows and either log off or lock the client.

19.  Monitor the client’s backups over the next few days.

jbtsabw
Level 4

This above steps not help all systems and it certainly isn't a good solution if you have more than a few systems giving you problems.