cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Points Not being removed

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Hi.

I have the backups set to only keep 3 recovery point sets, but I have some servers keeping over 40+ recovery points and still adding to them.  The recovery points are being stored on an HP server with 9 Terrabytes, so I am guessing since it is not having space problems it is not cleaning up. 

We are running 7.01 on Windows 2003 servers.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Dave
5 REPLIES 5

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Does anyone actually respond to these?

Martin_C
Level 4
Employee
Hi Dave,

I will need to have access to seast logs in order to troubleshoot it. I advice to contact Sym Tech Support to analyze it.

DarkHorseSki
Level 3
Some nice user published an app  (you'll find a link for it in this forum area... search for "purgev2i")

It can help you deal with this issue.

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Thanks DarkHorseSki!

Dave

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Dave,

Most often this is caused by the backup job or the storage location.
The backup job can 'forget' it needs to clean up the old backup jobs.  When this happens, it is recommended to delete the old backup job and create a new job.  The old backups will need to be deleted manually once you have a current backup created by the new job.
The storage location can cause this behavior if it is disconnected or loses connection.  Most often this is seen with External USB/Firewire drives, but has occurred with SAN and NAS storage locations.  With SAN or NAS drives, if the Drive Volume signature, Disk Signature, or IP changes, the storage appears to be a different drive and all previous images are not recognized as part of the same backup job.  The fix is the same as above (recommended).  Or delete all backup images and allow the backup job to create the first Baseline new again.

Regards,
Rich L