cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove low on diskspace message in the Event Viewer

ThomasNederman
Not applicable

I get the bellow errormessage in the event log when creating a image. the diskspace free is 250 GB of a 3.5 TB partition. Some clients are now getting worried about there servers running low on space and since this is not the case i would like System recovery not to create these events. Is there any registry key or setting i can change ?

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
Event Category: Medium Priority
Event ID: 100
Date:  04.01.2008
Time:  08:59:50
User:  N/A
Computer: PS050-ZH
Description:
Error EC8F17E5: Your recovery point location of \\xxx\Images\xxx\ is running out of space. Please run the Cleanup Recovery Points task to free up some space.
Details: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

Thanks in advance

thomas Nederman
9 REPLIES 9

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The Error:

EC8F17E5: Your recovery point location of \\xxx\Images\xxx\ is running out of space. Please run the Cleanup Recovery Points task to free up some space. Details: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Has been resolved for many of our customers by following one or more of the following suggestions:

Liveupdate to the 7.02 build
=======================

(1) From within the BESR console Choose HELP > Run LiveUpdate to bring it up to the 7.02 build

WARNING: This suggestion will require a reboot of the system.

Disable Backup Storage Disk Space monitoring
======================================

(1) from within the BESR console go to Tools > Manage Backup Destinations
(2) Select the storage location being reported as running out of space
(3) Click Settings
(4) Uncheck the option, 'Monitor disk space usage for backup storage.'
(5) Click OK
(6) Close the Manage Backup Destinations window
(7) Close the BESR console interface
(8) Stop BESR service in windows services
(9) Stop VPROTRAY.EXE process in task manager
(10) Start BESR service in Windows services
(11) Start Vprotray by launching it from the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent sub-folder
(12) Launch the BESR console
(13) Attempt to run a recovery point creation job.

Remove PQJ & PQH files
=====================

(1) In task manager stop VPROTRAY.EXE
(2) In windows Services stop the Backup Exec System Recovery service (i.e. VPROSVC.EXE).
(3) Move or delete the current image files for this client system on the storage location.
(4) On the Agent system, use Windows explorer to remove *.PQJ files located in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Schedule sub-folder & in the location \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\Schedule
(5) On the Agent system, use Windows explorer to remove *.PQH files located in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\History sub-folder and in the location C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\History
(6) In windows Services start the Backup Exec System Recovery service (i.e. VPROSVC.EXE).
(7) Use Windows explorer to start VPROTRAY.EXE located in the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent sub-folder.
(8) Start Backup Exec System Recovery and recreate your backup job.
(9) Verify that image files are being created on schedule without error.

Deatheye
Level 5
We are having the same message on one of our servers with Version 8.5
Total space 1.91 TB  176 GB free
Backup Image needs around 10 GB.

The error appears for 3 weeks now, over 2 month befor this 3 weeks we hadn't any error.

I didn't find anything about this error in the KB. Does this still count for the 8.5 Version?
I propably will wait for the next week cause I started windows monitoring for the disk space, just to be sure the space doesn't get filled for a short time during the backup window from some other application.

criley
Employee Accredited
You say that there is 176GB - I'm assuming you are referring to the backup destination?

And how big are the source volume(s) that you are backing up?

Deatheye
Level 5
Yes I menat the backup destination.

We back up a 30 GB volume. The file created by BESR gets around 10 GB big.

criley
Employee Accredited
OK, thanks for confirming.

Let us know how things go with the disk space monitoring. If that does not give you any clues I would suggest that you open a case with Symantec Tech Support so we can look into this further.

Deatheye
Level 5

I tried the KB out didn't help. Even uninstalled and installed it again (including a reboot after uninstallation), I still get the mail telling me I should free space. I traced the free space on the backup destination, it never had less then 160 GB free space. I assume that would be a normal case including cost? For that I first need to get an authorization from an other division.

Deatheye
Level 5

I'm still waiting for the authorization. Should get it next week. Till then I just make notes of what else I notice.

Ok this is getting interesting, at least for me. looks like we kinda have a generall problem. First thing I noticed: On the system that message appears, the BESR home screen tells me that there is no job definied and I should create one. Actually there is a job defined.

Now today I got a call, that from an other system, no email arrives from BESR since about 2 days. I checked that installation too. It also tells me that there is no job specified. And all the SMTP settings are lost. Now if I think back I assume we lost the SMTP settings severall times. I always though I somehow didn't save them or just forgot one server to configure it.
But besides on our internal systems we also have a customer that had this problem now 2 times, loosing the SMTP settings inside BESR.

Any advise on how excatly to define this when opening I call. last time I had a general problem with a symantec product it was kinda hard to open and/or reactivate that case cause they always wanted a specifiec error message id which always needed to be the same. I nearly got insane always telling them again that it's agenerall problem showing itself in different ways and messages... till I finally got the technical support. And that for nearly every call.

Till now the systems involved are windows Server 2008 SP1 x64, Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x64.

If I get the chance between customer calls to look further into this I'll check the other systems if I find more with (at least to me) strange behaviour.

criley
Employee Accredited
You need to be clear about which problem you want to work on when opening up a support case. Rule of thumb is: one issue per case. Of course, sometimes there are several errors which are inter-related.

Deatheye
Level 5
We opened a case for this. Cause the error message on this system didn't appear with the last backup (no Idea why) I opened it for an other system with the same behaviour regarding the "not enough space" problem.

First Hint was to Upgrade from Version 8.5.0 to 8.5.5 via Live update (8.5.0 seems to have some problems). But Live Update always tells me that the software is up to date. Waiting for an next response there.
Just hope I don't need to install all the BESR installations again -.-