cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing an old backup policy from a client - how?

dale_m1
Level 4
Hello,

I’ve recently set up a backup policy for my network servers.  I had initially configured the policy to back up all drives.  Only later did it occur to me that I have some USB drives on some of the servers that I don’t want backed up.  So, since the Management Console does not allow you to select/deselect drives on a client by client basis, I reconfigured all the USB drives to higher drive letters and created a new backup policy which just targets the C, D, and E drives.  However, since this, all my servers with external USB drives are being thrown into the “At Risk” pool on the management console because no recovery point could be found for the M: drive – the drive letter to which I shifted my USB drives.  The backups on the C, D, and E drives are happening fine.

I used the procedure on page 120 of the BESR 2010 MS Administrators Guide to disable the original backup policy by unchecking the “Active Backup Policy” setting.  The next step however says “The policy however remains on the client computers.”  So, it appears that the original policy is still in force on the servers.  By the way, I have also deleted the original backup policy at the management console.

My question then is;  How do you completely remove an old backup policy from a client machine?

Thank You
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dale_m1
Level 4

Ended up solving this problem by starting up Backup Exec System Recovery on the client servers.  Once started, then did the following;

Click Advanced Tab

Click Drives Tab

Right Click the problem drive (M:)

Select Customize Status Reporting

Select "No Status Reporting"

Basically this told BESR not to complain any longer about the M: drive not being backed up even though the policy, as viewed from the client, was not telling it to back up the M: drive.

Anyhow, this seems to have solved the problem.  The problem servers are now no longer in the "At Risk" pool and now appear in the green.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

dale_m1
Level 4

Ended up solving this problem by starting up Backup Exec System Recovery on the client servers.  Once started, then did the following;

Click Advanced Tab

Click Drives Tab

Right Click the problem drive (M:)

Select Customize Status Reporting

Select "No Status Reporting"

Basically this told BESR not to complain any longer about the M: drive not being backed up even though the policy, as viewed from the client, was not telling it to back up the M: drive.

Anyhow, this seems to have solved the problem.  The problem servers are now no longer in the "At Risk" pool and now appear in the green.