cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting not being updated

NeilMurphy65
Level 4
Hi,

In my BESR 2010 MS setup I have rolled out the "no GUI" version of BESR to 10 servers. I have created a schedule that backs up the C: drives only at 17:30 every day with a full backup on Sundays.

My problem is that when I look in At Computers under the Manage Tasks tab to monitor backups sometimes a server will show that it has missed its last backup. The "Last Run Time" column will say something like "19/01/2010 17:30 (3 days ago)" and the "Next Run Time" column will say "20/01/2010 17:30 (2 days ago).

Sometimes the backup has genuinely failed for some reason, but more often than not, I find that the backup was actually successful.

I suspect that the Altiris Client is not reporting back properly but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Neil.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NeilMurphy65
Level 4

Hi Chris,

I've tried the manual update method with no success. I can't really get into uninstalls and reinstalls as these are all production systems.

As a work around, I've decided to restart the Altiris Agent each evening using a scheduled batch job. Details below.

Neil.

This script can be used to restart the Altiris Agent service. Copy these two files to the "c:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent" folder on the target server.

AltirisAgentRestart.bat:

net stop "Altiris Agent"
net start "Altiris Agent"

AltirisAgentRestart.vbs:

'============================================...
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
obj = WshShell.Run(".\AltirisAgentRestart.bat",0)
set WshShell = Nothing

Go to "Control Panel\Scheduled Tasks" and click on "Add Scheduled Task".

When the Scheduled Task Wizard opens, click Next.
Click Browse and select "c:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AltirisAgentRestart.vbs".
Choose Perform this task: Daily. Click Next.
Choose a start time. Choose Perform this task: Every Day. Click Next.
Enter a user name with local admin rights. Click Next.
Click Finish.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NeilMurphy65
Level 4
Ì have stopped and started the Altiris Agent service on each of the affected server. I waited a couple of minutes and then refreshed the screen on the management server. Now I see the correct information.

Now I need to discover a way to keep the reports up to date without having to restart the Agent every time.

criley
Employee Accredited
Neil,

If you do a manual update on the altiris agent from the client end - does it successfully update the status in the console? If this is not working, then clearly there is a problem with the agent itself and a simple uninstall/re-install (or repair) might help.

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

NeilMurphy65
Level 4

Hi Chris,

I've tried the manual update method with no success. I can't really get into uninstalls and reinstalls as these are all production systems.

As a work around, I've decided to restart the Altiris Agent each evening using a scheduled batch job. Details below.

Neil.

This script can be used to restart the Altiris Agent service. Copy these two files to the "c:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent" folder on the target server.

AltirisAgentRestart.bat:

net stop "Altiris Agent"
net start "Altiris Agent"

AltirisAgentRestart.vbs:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
obj = WshShell.Run(".\AltirisAgentRestart.bat",0)
set WshShell = Nothing

Go to "Control Panel\Scheduled Tasks" and click on "Add Scheduled Task".

When the Scheduled Task Wizard opens, click Next.
Click Browse and select "c:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AltirisAgentRestart.vbs".
Choose Perform this task: Daily. Click Next.
Choose a start time. Choose Perform this task: Every Day. Click Next.
Enter a user name with local admin rights. Click Next.
Click Finish.