cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore 2003 SBS to same server HP G3 cannot use the tape drive after restore

deanho
Level 3
Backed up my server to a USB drive and restored it to my backup server which is identical. HP Prolient. Restore worked fine (just long 25 hours) and i was going to do a backup to tape (internal Compaq DLT VS). Every tape i put in will just eject right away. i reinstall the drive (device driver) with no luck.
5 REPLIES 5

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Dean - Does the tape eject even when there is no application open? Or does it appear that the OS is ejecting the tape?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Additionally, you have tried a different tape?

deanho
Level 3
yea, i restarted the server and put a tape in without opening anything and it still ejected it!!! i tried to end all the backup exec services too and it still ejected it.

deanho
Level 3
yes i have tried a different tape (even a new one) and they all work fine on the production box.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This could be several things. Boot into safe mode (if possible) and see if it ejects. That would tell us if it is a driver and service problem. From safe mode, disable the BEWS and BESR services and boot into normal mode. If it still ejects, then I would guess that it is a driver issue. You might want to approach HP and see if this is a known issue with a solution. If you used the RestoreAnywhere feature in the recovery disk, it is possible that a driver reinstall occured.

There is a 'tracer.exe' utility in the Backup Exec folder in Program Files. That will output a .bin file. If you private message me with that file attached, I can have someone take a look at that and see if this is related.