cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Anyware problem

Stephen_Russell
Level 3
Hi All, Trying to restore a boot drive (Win2K3) to new hardware (testing Restore Anyware and also as a way to upgrade a server to new hardware in the very near future). I have the Restore Anyware option installed and licensed on our server. I have recovered the drive to the new hardware and onto a new drive and had checked the "Restore Anyware" option as part of the restore process. However, when I try to boot the new hardware, after the Windows "Please Select Operating System to Start" screen, the following message appears...
"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."
Any suggestion at what I am doing wrong????

Cheers, Stephen
7 REPLIES 7

Stephen_Russell
Level 3
Hi All - just an update. I was able to get past this message by altering the boot.ini file. For some reason it was changing from "partition(1)" to (2). However, when it boots up now I am receiving the BSOD - Stop error 0x0000007B..... :o(. Now just trying to get around that one.... Cheers, S.

Stephen_Russell
Level 3
Hi again... Another update. The Restore Anywhere would probably work now EXCEPT it won't accept any of the drivers after it loads the image and prepares the drive for the new hardware. It is asking for ...

Device Type: PCI
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086DEV_25A35SUBSYS_608015D9REV_02
Device Description: IDE Controller.

I have tried every driver on the CD I got with the new hardware and LSR won't accept any of them.... Totally frustrated with something I thought would be relatively simple according to all the literature!!!

Cheers, S.

Mr__Fabietto
Level 4
Employee
Are you trying to use an USB Keyboard/mouse?

Unable to type during the Plug and Play
There is a known issue with some USB keyboards. Sometimes a prompt for a driver appears before the USB driver is loaded, and a USB keyboard or mouse is not loaded. The customer is not able to enter information. The only workaround is to reboot with a standard keyboard or mouse connected.

Thanks

Mr Fabietto
http://fcerullo.spaces.live.com/

Stephen_Russell
Level 3
Hi Mr Fabietto,

Not using a USB Keyboard, but I am running the server through a KVM switch with PS2 Keyboard and mouse.

I had a reply from the motherboard's support dept when asking about a IDE Controller driver but their response was that it was a Standard OS driver??? So back to square one.... :o(

Stephen

techno_nerd
Level 4
Stephen,

Here is some infomation that I have found that may assist you:

Restore image with LiveState Recovery Restore AnyWare. Do not reboot.
From the main menu, move the curser to the top left corner. The cursor should switch to a hand. Click in the corner.
A command prompt window should open.
Type Regedit.
Select H_Key_Local_Machine.
Click on File/Open.
Select Load Hive.
Browse to C:\WINNT\system32\config\system
Select Open.
Type A_IDE
Navigate to A_IDE\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase
Add the new key by right clicking and selecting "New Key"
Name the new key "primary_ide_channel"
Add a new String value by right clicking in "primary_ide_channel" and selecting "New String Value"
Name the new string value "ClassGUID"
Set the "ClassGUID" string value by double clicking on "ClassGUID"
Set the ClassGUID string value to "{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-08002BE10318}"
Add a new string value by right clicking in "primary_ide_channel" and selecting "New String Value"
Name the new string value "Service"
Set the "Service" string value by double clicking on "Service"
Set the Service string value to "atapi"
Repeat steps 13-21, but replace the new key name with "secondary_ide_channel"
You will end of with 2 new keys and values identical, except for the key name, ("primary_ide_channel" and "secondary_ide_channel")
Navigate to ControlSet001\Services\atapi
Set the "Start" key value to "0" by double clicking on "Start"
Add a new key value by right clicking in "atapi" and selecting "Expandable String Value"
Name the new key value "ImagePath"
Set the "ImagePath" string value by double clicking on "ImagePath"
Set the ImagePath string value to "system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys"
Unload the loaded OS's SYSTEM registry hive by selecting A_IDE, click File\ Unload Hive
Exit the Registry.
Reboot PC.

Thanks,

Technonerd

magamaga
Level 2
I am having the same problem.  Here is how it is on my end.

Took an image from a Citrix server.  The Citrix server runs on a Compaq ML350 with Raid 1 scsi drives under Windows 2003 Server.

I am able to do the restore from the image and it looks good even after the restore, because it seems that BESR remaps my root drive letter M to M on the new system.  
 After its done restoring, the system reboots and for a split second it starts showing the screen that says Windows 2003  and then it blue screens with 0x0000007b .    I checked the regedit hack posted in the previous post but my registry entries are already that way.

The target computer has an 80GB SATA drive.

Help please, I really would like to get past this so I can buy the product and use it forever to avoid rebuilding this Citrix server that is already fully customized and the bread and butter of many employees that are in satellite offices.  

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If you are using BESR 6.5, you could try sending the latest drivers for the target drive controller (mass storage controller) to NIC_drivers@symantec.com.

They can create a custom SRD for you that contains the correct drivers.  These drivers would be available for the WInPE run-time environment, and would also be placed in our driver database for restore anyware operations.