cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Anywhere Not Supported on Domain Controllers?

Shilo_Stewart
Level 2
I was told yesterday by Symantec tech support that they no longer (for about a month) supporting Restore Anywhere on domain controllers, that it may still work, but they have seen too many problems with it to support that configuration. Has anyone out there had a successful restore of a DC to dissimilar hardware with BESR 6.5?

Thanks,
Shilo
6 REPLIES 6

Ashok_Karavadra
Level 2
Hi,

I've recently phoned the tech support and was told that they do support migration of DCs to dissimilar HW.

I'm trying to get a trial CD which has the ability to do restore anywhere functionality. I think you need to get a special trail CD from one of the Symantec Partners/Resellers.

Just like you I wan't to make sure that this is possible before purchasing it.

Ashok.

stephane_boulet
Level 3
We are in the exact same process here!
We will buy a copy of the software and then test it... Quite a strange way of doing things, but I was told by a Symantec rep that its my only bet of being able to test the Restore anywhere feature.... boo Symantec on this one!

Vladimir_Vuci1
Level 4
Hi!

All you need to test Restore Anywhere is a CD from your Symantec Partner (or .iso image) (you can even contact us if you like, www.netpp.co.yu) and trial licenses (that some Partners know how and can generate) for 60 days.

Sincerely yours,
Vladimir

Shilo_Stewart
Level 2
I have done two test restores with two DCs and got a Security Accounts Manager error each time (the error points to doing an AD Recovery). In this installation we're having to look at things we can change with our topology (demoting servers to member servers only) in order to make the product even worthwhile for servers. I hope Symantec is really working on addressing this as I can;t imagine that small business customers everywhere are in need of imaging their DCs with Restore Anywhere.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
I'm not sure how AD aware the product is. The issue is if you do get it to restore, you need to be sure you haven't seen a USN rollback.

techno_nerd
Level 4
I have had some good success with it, I just make sure that I use NT Backup and get a good backup of the AD. Then I do a restore, with the RAO, followed up with a non-authoratative restore with AD.

This seems to work. This is on a 2000 DC. 2003 DC's you should be fine to just run BESR and do a RAO restore.

Thanks,

Technonerd