cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Error ED800022 Spanning mismatch 222 files expected, 100 files found

zingram
Level 3

Hello,

I am running Symatec System Recovery 2011 Server Edition Version 10.01.41704 on Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit and having an issue with restoring one of my drives. I am starting to do monthly test restores with an offsite backup to a portable hard drive and ran into the issue where it will not restore my E:/ drive. Every other drive backup will restore on my test box perfectly fine but when I try to restore E: I get ther error: 'Error ED800022 Spanning mismatch 222 files expected, 100 files found'

I have tried mounting the recovery point on multiple boxes as well and get the same error. If I mount the backup from the default backup destination which is a NAS it works fine. I also MANUALLY copied the recovery points to the same drive and they will restore and mount with no problem. To me it seems as though the 'Offsite Backup' function on SSR is not working properly with the particular backup.

I have tried to recreate the job as well as disable/reenable the offsite backup feature and nothing seems to change.

I havent found much online about this error so any help will be appreciated!

PLEASE HELP!!!

7 REPLIES 7

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The error does indeed indicate that there are missing incrementals. The base recovery point+incrementals on the NAS should match those on the offsite location. If you compare side-by-side, are incrementals missing from the offsite?

zingram
Level 3

It would appear that way. On the offsite backup drive there are about 106 incremental files where as on the NAS there are around 230 files for any particular recovery point. I guess my next question is why is Offsite backup not copying all .v2i files and stopping at around 100 per recovery point and just for the E drive?

There is plenty of space left on the drive. I do switch the drives out once a week but clear space as needed and as I mentioned every other backed up drive recovers fine.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Does it appear that the offsite stopped at 106, and then stopped copying any addition incrementals?

If so, has this happened before with other backups, or is this a 1-time incident?

(The offisite is a synchronization process, where the offiste is compared against the destination, and synced accordingly once the backup is done.)

zingram
Level 3

If I understand you correct the offsite does stop 'offsite copying' recovery point 'A' at 106 and then starts 'offsite copying' recovery point 'B'  So there are offsite copies past the 106 points of recovery point 'A'

I know that was probably confusing.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So were the base+all recovery points there originally from backup A before backup B kicked of? Before the next base backup kicks off, the offsite location needs to be checked to verify that it matches the destination. If it does, then we know backup B is deleting the files. If not, then there is an issue with the offsite. 

By the way, this is from the SSR manual about offsite copy:

The most recent recovery points are copied first, followed by the next newest recovery points. If you have set up two offsite copy destinations, Offsite Copy copies recovery points to the destination that was added first. If an offsite copy destination is unavailable, OffsiteCopy tries to copy recovery points to the second destination, if it is available. If neither destination is available, then Offsite Copy copies the recovery points the next time an offsite copy destination becomes available For example, suppose you have configured a backup job to run at 6:00 p.m. and configured an external drive as an offsite copy destination. However, when you leave the office at 5:30 p.m., you take the drive with you for safekeeping. When the backup job completes at 6:20 p.m., Symantec System Recovery detects that the offsite copy destination drive is not available and the copy process is aborted. The following morning, you plug the drive back in to the computer. Symantec System Recovery detects the presence of the offsite copy destination drive and automatically begins copying your recovery points. If an offsite copy destination runs out of disk space,

f an offsite copy destination runs out of disk space, Offsite Copy identifies the oldest recovery points and removes them to make room for the most current recovery points. OffsiteCopy then copies the current recovery points to the offsite copy destination.

criley
Employee Accredited

Does this match the issue you are seeing?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176290

zingram
Level 3

Chris,

That seems like the exact issue! I will try this and update you guys. Thanks!!