cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Win 2003 Std. DC with Restore Anyware to New Hardware

DJSCOG
Level 2
I need to restore a Win 2003 Std. DC to new hardware.  There doesn't seem to be any clear documentation regarding restoring domain controllers with the newest version of BESR using Restore Anyware.  Is there anything special I need to do for this?  Am I better off demoting the old server, backing up, restoring to new server and then promoting the new server?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ioniancat21
Level 5
check out my message in the forum, however this is how it will go in a nutshell:

First off how old is the image? If the image was taken recently, you'll probably be able to simply restore the image and reboot, then the hardware detection process will begin detecting the new hardware and shortly you'll find yourself at the login screen and that's it. If you have the luxury, take a current image and restore that instead.

If you have an older image that still hasn't passed the tombstone period, worst case use your system state backup and do a non-authoritative restore in Directory Services Restore mode

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ioniancat21
Level 5
check out my message in the forum, however this is how it will go in a nutshell:

First off how old is the image? If the image was taken recently, you'll probably be able to simply restore the image and reboot, then the hardware detection process will begin detecting the new hardware and shortly you'll find yourself at the login screen and that's it. If you have the luxury, take a current image and restore that instead.

If you have an older image that still hasn't passed the tombstone period, worst case use your system state backup and do a non-authoritative restore in Directory Services Restore mode

DJSCOG
Level 2
Great.  That's what I wanted to know.  This is actually for a client, so I'll be creating the image immediately before restoring it to the new server.  I was just concerned with the SIDs being different since it will be new hardware and it not cooperating.