cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from network take days

baabul
Not applicable
I backed up a Dell PowerEdge 2003 Enterprise server on a network drive on a gig LAN using the trial version. I formated the hard drives (RAID1) and restored from the network recovery point. It recovered perfectly well. But it took more than 48 hours to recover a basic Windows installation. What did I do wrong or is that normal?
Thanks for any help.
1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A very rough average is about 3 minutes per GB of original use space of the source drives (not the size of the image itself) when you are attempting a creation or a restore. If it is a simple Windows 2003 install taking say no more then 5GB of used space the restore should take no longer then 15 minutes with that average rate. As a simple test, to see if the NIC driver being applied to the server while in the recovery environment is valid, and to rule out possible network topology issues, is to see if you get the same slow speed using a cross over cable between the server and say a workstation class system acting as a storage medium for the recovery point image. If you do have the same slow speed it is likely the NIC driver being assigned to the PowerEdge’s NIC within the recovery environment. Try using the ‘Load a driver,’ menu option within the recovery environment, or create a custom recovery CD with updated VISTA/2003 nic drivers obtained from DELL or from the original NIC manufacturer and try the test restore again.