cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore to RAID 1

mrivers
Level 3

I am running SSR 2013 R2 SP6 on a desktop computer under Windows 10 64bit.  The system drive is a SSD that is Bitlocker encrypted.  I would like to move the system drive to a RAID 1 array.  How can I do this with SSR?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

criley
Employee Accredited

Thank you for your response.  I had seen that document, but I do not think it will work in my case.

The SATA controller is presently set to IDE, and would have to be changed to RAID to create the array.  My understanding is that the source drive would no longer be accessible to copy once that is done.  Is that correct?

I could make an image of the source drive before changing the SATA controller to RAID, and then restore the image to the RAID array.  Would that work?  How would Windows know to use the RAID drivers?

Thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, you are correct.

In that case, I think a restore is the only option here. You would need to backup the entire machine, then make the hardware changes, then boot from the recovery disk and run a restore. The 'restore anyware' process should prompt for a new driver (for the RAID) if the driver is not already present inside the backup image.

I won't be able to try it until the weekend.  I will let you know how it goes.

I created an image of the boot drive, made hardware changes (created array on separate drives, unplugged current boot drive), booted from the recovery disk and ran restore to the RAID array.  It never asked for a driver.  Upon reboot, I got a BSOD (Stop code: Inaccessible Boot Device).  I cleaned the array (diskpart/clean) and ran restore again, after loading drivers; same result.  I tried 4-5 more times, with different setting, same result.  I meant to change the drives to IDE (as a test) to see if I could restore, but I forgot.

To test that the RAID was functioning properly, I installed Windows 10 and the RAID management software; it showed everything was functioning properly.  So, if I want to clean install Windows 10 and reload all of the applications, I can run from the RAID array on this computer.  That would take at least 10 hours of my time, not including getting all of the setting configured properly.  I purchased two licenses for SSR (maintenance running through 01-17-2018) so I would not have to do that. :)

Any suggestions for successfully restoring to a RAID array would be appreciated.  We are moving to RAID arrays on all of out desktops, so we need the ability to restore an image to a RAID array successfully.

Thank.

criley
Employee Accredited

Was the restore anyware option enabled? (as shown in figure 5 here http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006864).

Since you are making hardware changes that mean a different driver is required, I think this option should probably be enabled.

Yes, the restore anywhere option was enabled. I also tried to restore without that option being enabled, same result.

criley
Employee Accredited

Was the restore done by selecting the system index file?

Details here: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006864

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I kept getting an error message when I tried to log-in last week.

Yes, I did do the restore by selecting the System Index File.

criley
Employee Accredited

Then I would suggest opening a support case so that this can be investigated in more detail.