cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore to different hardware problems (SSR 2011)

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

Hey guys

I am trying to test our System and data images from our Live server to our spare server, here are the details

Symantec System Recovery 2011

Live Server 

Dell Poweredge T110
C: System drive RAID 1 with two 250GB drives
D: Data drive RAID 1 with two 250GB drives

Spare Server

Dell Poweredge T110
C: System drive is not in RAID 1 it's just a standalone 250GB SATA drive
D: Data drive is not in RAID 1 it's a 1TB SATA drive

I have completed the following

Booted the recovery CD on the Spare Server and used diskpart to prepare the two disks, I ran the following using diskpart

sel dis 0 (this is the system 250GB drive)

clean

cre par pri

format fs=ntfs quick

assign letter=C

active

exit

next I browse to the system image I want to install on the spare server from a USB drive that we have all the Symantec system recovery images on. I click advanced and select the prepared 250GB drive, I also click "Set drive active (for booting OS)

Next I make sure "Verify recovery point before recovery" and "Use Restore Anywhere to recover to different hardware" are both checked and then let the image install

When the server reboots I get an error saying "BOOTmgr missing", so I boot up my server 2008 cd and run a repair, the server reboots and I still have the "BOOTmgr missing" error, so I have to run another repair which then fixes the "BOOTmgr missing" problem and windows starts to boot.

I then get a screen that states, "please wait while windows is configured" or something similair to that, but then after about 15 mins I get this error

bootproblem.jpg

So I reboot and boot from the symantec recovery CD again, prepare the 250GB system drive in the spare server to attempt another restore, but this time I decided to hold down shift when clicking on "Use Restore Anywhere to recover to different hardware" to allow me to check the option to "prompt for drivers"

This time just before the image restore completes I get this box asking for a driver

image.jpg

I am unsure what I need to provide to this prompt or even where to download the driver 

Any help would be great.

15 REPLIES 15

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you provided the RAID driver?

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

Hi Mark

Where do I need to provide the RAID driver? The spare server I am trying to restore to does not have RAID.

Thanks

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Ups, sorry I missed that point. Did you also enable the delete all drivers option in the restore anywhere options or just check the checkbox for restore anywhere ?

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

No problem, I shift clicked on "Restore Anywhere" which gave me options and yes Delete all drivers was checked, I checked the "Prompt for drivers" so I could see what it would require.

That's when I received the screenshot about the Storage device above but I'm unsure what I need or where I get it.

Thanks

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, give the raid driver anyway a try.

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

When you say, give the raid driver a try, what do you want me to do?

Does the server need to be connected to the internet when its doing a restore anywhere, so it can download missing drivers?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Nop, you must provide the approprite driver to the SRD, e.g. via USB or a network share that is mapped to the SRD. I meant the RAID Driver, sorry for being not clear.

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

OK thanks, Do you mean use the RAID driver for the second screenshot in the first post? I did create a custom SRD which did include the RAID driver from the Live server.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

For the restore anywhere you need to provide the driver again. The one that you created with the custom is just for the SRD to access the disk.

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

Ok thanks, if you look at the second screenshot in the first post I need to provide a driver but I am unsure on what driver I need or even where to get the driver as I think this will resolve my issues

Thanks

mattsaundersmcp
Level 3

Anymore help would be great :)

Thanks

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Did you try the RAID driver of the old server already ? or maybe the chipset driver of the new server?

Dave_H1
Level 4

If you look at the screenshot you posted asking for a driver, you will see that it's for the WD1002FBYS. Thats your data drive assuming your data drive is a western digital 1TB SATA.

Try unplugging that drive for the recovery, also please check the BIOS settings for the drives. you may have them set as IDE mode.

Since the image was made on the system with SATA RAID, any other setting will need the correct driver for it.  I'm not familiar with that system but if your using it in a non-raid configuration chances are your BIOS will be set as SATA or AHCI and then you will need to provide the SATA\AHCI driver if restore anywhere gives another prompt for a driver.  (I have a feeling the driver is not included and you may be actually doing the restore onto the wrong drive).

You also don't need to prepare the destination drive, the partition and format is part of the image and trying to assign a letter in the recovery enviroment is not needed and not retained because it is recorded in the temporary PE enviroment and not the "real" system registry.

Dave

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Abhishek_Sen
Level 2
Employee Accredited

SSR products are different from Ghost. Ghost is meant for cloning but SSR is used for imaging.

With SSR whenever you go for imaging it normally requires drivers post restoration which means at the end of 99% it will pop with drivers asking windows. 

To avoid such scenario two methods can be applied :

1) Within RAO Hidden window you can only select Delete Existing Drivers and rest unchecked since the OS is SBS server 2008 which can used its own drivers to detect new hardware . But process is applicable when you disable every system peripherials within BIOS except your internal disk.

In case if you are using External Disk then you need to enable USB options rest NIC etc can be diabled. During OS imaging it checks with internal hardware details and asks for the same.

2) Download all the drivers related to this hardware no matter what OS version you are having. Extract them from .exe to .inf . Sometime thirdparty software like total commander helps to extract .inf files. Sometimes winrar or 7zip helps to extract .inf files. Copy these files within your extrernal usb where your images are also stored.

If you are having all the drivers handy with you then within RAO Hidden window you can only select Delete Existing Drivers and Prompt for Drivers.

Even if you havent enabled RAID and you are using SATA or IDE it will always asks for Storage Disk. If you look at the Drivers asking screenshot its asking for Storage Device and no RAID controller or SCSI controller. Therefore , at this point you cannot ignore or cancel since it will fail the restoration. You even cannot disable internal disk. So you have to provide Disk Drivers . 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53848

Let me know for further clarifications.