cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from a previous back up - instructions/help needed

JulieW
Level 3

Hi

Please excuse me but I am not too clued up on this system as I have not long started with the company.

Our system is backed up to seperate portable hard drives (F drive) and we are now having to restore back to 29th June 2015 due to an issue that has occurred within our accounting system.

We have located some information online that guides us through the process but it does not seem to be working!  We have selected the back up that needs restoring and catalogued this. We then went onto the restore tab and selected 'run now'. However, when checking the system, it hasnt restored.

My guess is that when we are selecting 'run now' we may only be running the 'catalogue' and not actually the restore.

Can anyone supply any detailed instructions on how to do this restore please?

Many thanks in advance.

Julie

PS. I have guessed the SSR 2011 because I am not at work at the moment and havent got a clue!

9 REPLIES 9

lmosla
Level 6

Have you checked the Symantec System Recovery User Guide?  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158390

also, some of the terms you used almost sound more like a Backup Exec restore...

JulieW
Level 3

It maybe a Backup Exec restore i'm not sure.

Looking at the manual, nothing seems to be appropriate unless this is due to my misunderstanding of how the system works.

The manual appears to be connected with recovery which i interpret as being different from the restore,. I am most likely wrong.

lmosla
Level 6

Open the console to verify whether this is Symantec System Recovery or Backup Exec.  

JulieW
Level 3

It states Backup Exec.

We found some instructions on Monday and followed them but it is still saying there are 5 tasks outstanding (we attempted this a number of times, hence the 5 scheduled tasks waiting!). This is what we did:-

1. Connected the device from where we want to restore. This is a portable hard drive.

2. We went to Devices tab on the Backup Exec console

3. Right clicked on the Backup to Disk folder and ran the inventory

4. Once the inventory was completed, we right clicked again on the Backup to Disc folder and run a catalogue.

5. I think then we selected the Restore tab and clicked Run Now

This is just queuing more jobs and not actually restoring.  It is obvious that we are not completing the task otherwise it would restore back to the date we require but with very little knowledge and understanding of how the system works, we do not want to try anything else just in case we totally mess up the system.

JulieW
Level 3

By the way, the system we are running is extremely old. Looking at the Backup Exec disc, it has Version 10.D on it. Not sure if this helps!

lmosla
Level 6

since this is Backup Exec the post should be moved to the Backup Exec forums.

also is the Date Range correct in the restore job?

JulieW
Level 3

The issue has been resolved now.

We restored the data to a seperate folder to retain the current information then selected the data that we needed to restore which was the Nominal Ledger on the accounting system as this was corrupt.

Thank you for your help and assistance.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Lucky you! So please mark this post as solved please!

TilakGovind
Not applicable

solved hahah