cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotation with USB Drives

AmericanPie
Level 4
Partner

I know that it cannot be done if we go by any of the best practices indicated. Even with speaking with tech support, they suggest that it cannot be done and that it is not supported.

The reason it cannot be done is that when you do your backup onto the external USB drive and replug it say the very next week. It will not find the recovery points anymore. Since the recovery points are no longer found in the Manage Backup Destination, it cannot delete recovery points it can't see.

There is one solution that I am trying but not convinced that it works is that on all the backup jobs, uncheck the Monitor Disk Space Usage for Backup Storage and let the backkup job "police itself" with only the number of recovery points.

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Take a look here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/de/forums/howto-usb-drive-rotation-besr-70-85

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates in here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates in here ?

AmericanPie
Level 4
Partner

The best solution for this not to happen was given to me by a support agent. Start clean and create a backup job for 1 external drive. Once the backup job is created, go to Manage Backup Destination> Settings and uncheck Monitor Disk Space for Backup Stoage.

That will improve things by 1000%