cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBESR 2010 Small Business & RDX ... ?

ITGS
Level 3

SBESR 2010 for SB, support rdx device ?

If yes, how can I configure SBESR to backup the whole server using two rdx cartridge for daily rotation ?

Thank you for support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, that will work fine.

Yes, full and incremental is supported with offsite (offsite is just a copy of what you have at your primary backup destination).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have a look here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/rdx-drives-compatible-besr-2010

criley
Employee Accredited

This currently has some limitations...

You cannot rotate cartridges when doing a recovery point SET backup. This is because you end up having the contents of the set spread across more than one cartirdge. The consequence of this is that the automatic cleanup that BESR/SSR does, does not work very well - you end up with 'orphaned' files which ultimately leads to your cartridges filling up and backups start to fail due to lack of disk space.

The only way around this is to do independent (full only) backups. In other words, create 2 jobs with each job being targeted to it's own cartridge.

Hope that helps.

ITGS
Level 3

Hi Chris and thank you for your reply.

I understand the reason why I can not rotate different cartridges with daily recovery point set backup.

But what if I plan two different recovery point set backup jobs every one with specific scheduling and associated to a specific cartridge ?

criley
Employee Accredited

But what if I plan two different recovery point set backup jobs every one with specific scheduling and associated to a specific cartridge ?

Unfortunately you can only create one recovery point set backup job for any given volume.

ITGS
Level 3

Thank you again Chris for your fast reply....

So.... if I can't use the normal backup job to emulate a cartridge rotation, can I obtain something similar using the offsite copy ?

Thank you

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure how that would work. I suspect you'll see the same issue using offsite copy.

Are you actually able to target a specific cartridge or just the RDX drive from within BESR?

ITGS
Level 3

And what if I will use the offsite copy with only one cartridge to remove at the end of the day and inserting next day ?

Offsite copy support incremental backup and restore point ?

I don't have an rdx unit.... I'm asking before buy it...

:)

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, that will work fine.

Yes, full and incremental is supported with offsite (offsite is just a copy of what you have at your primary backup destination).

ITGS
Level 3

Thank you Chris for support.

You are very kind and professional.

Best regards