cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Email notifications on a non-standard SMTP port

JB-ITGroupNW
Level 3
Partner

My ISP recently blocked all SMTP traffic on port 25, so I no longer receive my BESR reports via e-mail. I need to change Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 to use SMTP port 587, but this is not an option in the software. I searched the registry to try and find a way to adjust it, but came up empty handed. I tried using an SMTP server of mail.server.com:587, but that didn't work. I tried changing the default SMTP port for Windows (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\services) and that didn't work...

Symantec - HELP!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I see what you mean now.

Try this:

• Stop the BESR service in the services concole.
  • Edit (with notepad or otherwise) the following file, making sure to create a backup copy just in case you need to back out: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Backup Exec System Recovery.notify.xml
  • Change the port setting in "E-Mail" from 25 to 587.
  • Save the changes, making sure the extension XML remains.
  • Start the BESR service.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you say it didn't work, what happened when you changed the port? I assume you also changed the port settings on the Exhange server?

JB-ITGroupNW
Level 3
Partner

Andrea- Thank you for your response. The BESR software sends reports via e-mail on port 25. I have looked everywhere in the software and I cannot find a place to change the SMTP port.

In reply to your response, I did not change the port because I do not see a place to change it in BESR. Also, I am not running an exchange server. I am using my ISP's SMTP, which only responds on 587 (since they recently blocked 25).

I am looking for a way to reconfigure BESR to use a different SMTP port (587).

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I see what you mean now.

Try this:

• Edit (with notepad or otherwise) the following file, making sure to create a backup copy just in case you need to back out: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Backup Exec System Recovery.notify.xml

JB-ITGroupNW
Level 3
Partner

Andrea, you rock! Modifying that configuration files did it. Again, thank you for your assistance!!

@Andreas_Horlach wrote:

I see what you mean now.

Try this:

I know this is an old thread but just in case someone stumbles upon this, like I did.

If you are using something after Windows XP or after Windows Server 2003, you can find the "Backup Exec System Recovery.notify.xml" file in the following path

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Backup Exec System Recovery.notify.xml