cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP1 - Need Some Clarification

dale_m1
Level 4

It was stated elsewhere on this forum about a week ago that SP1 is now available via live update and that it will also be available for download via the website.

A few questions…

1.)  Color me stupid, but is this an SP1 specifically for Backup Exec System Recovery, the Symantec Management Console, the Altiris Console, or all of the above?

2.)  The earlier post says it can be installed via LiveUpdate.  The BESR MS 2010 FAQ that I have expressly states that “Live Update is not required nor used by Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution to obtain or install Backup Exec System Recovery updates or patches.”  So, I assume from this that the Live Update mentioned is to be done not from the MS buy rather at each client using the BESR interface.  I did this, but received no indication that there had been any SP1 update.  Question:  So, how/where is the SP1 Live Update done?

3.)  Regarding the "...available for download via the website", could you tell me exactly where this is/will be available (a specific link)?

4.)  I am currently running the following client version levels and am running V7.0.5201 of the Symantec Management Console;
Backup Exec System Recovery at Client                                                 V9.0.0.35656
Symantec BESR Plug-In at Client                                                             V9.0.0.0               
Altiris Agent at Client                                                                                    V7.0.3599

The FileConnect.Symantec.com site is currently showing BESR Management Solution version 9.0.1.36532 as being available.  My initial installation used the version 9.0.0.35656 download.  Question:  What is the relationship between SP1 (whatever it covers) and the functionality differences between the download version 9.0.0.35656 and 9.0.1.36532 cited above? 

5.)  If SP1 does not cover the functionality differences in question 4 above, then is there a way to gain the improvements of the 9.0.1.36532 version short of a complete Management Solution reinstall?

Thank you for your time.
1 REPLY 1

dale_m1
Level 4

Following up on the above...

So, I located and downloaded BESR 2010 SP1 today.  However, I want to do a centralized push of SP1 to all clients as opposed to a local install at each machine.  Digging a bit further, according to the "Symantec BESRMS 2010 FAQ" we have the following;

2. How does Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution patch Backup Exec System Recovery?
Answer-
Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 service packs can be downloaded to the Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution server using the Symantec Installation Manager. These packages can be installed automatically to selected clients or client groups via policy.

Ok, fine.  So, looking into the Symantec Installation Manager a little more closely, from the "Symantec Platform Installation Guide", p.36, we have the following;

After you use Symantec Installation Manager to install the Symantec Management Platform products, you then use Symantec Installation Manager to install updates or additional products. The installation process is similar to an initial installation but with fewer steps.  When updates for installed products are available, the text following View and install updates on the Installed Products page is green and displays the number of available updates. An update can be a hotfix or a service pack.

Ok, great.  However, when I fire up the Symantec Installation Manager, to the right of "View and install updates" it simply says "No updates currently available." 

The Symantec Installation Manager shows the following as installed products;

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Installer (V9.0.0)

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Lights Out Restore (V9.0.0)

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution (V9.0.0)

Symantec Management Platform SP2

Symantec Management Platform SP2 HF2

So, is this the correct procedure for installing BESR 2010 SP1, and if so, have others been successful in following this procedure to perform a centralized push of SP1?

Thank You,