Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPS SBE - SSR 2011: Windows 7 PCs running with Virtual PC

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Looking for some advice here.

Client has Windows 7 desktops deployed in the organization (less than 10).

Each one is running Microsoft Virtual PC with Windows XP to maintain a 32-bit third-party application.  This will continue for the next 3 to 6 months.

Business owner wants hourly backups from 7am through 7pm for each desktop; files stored on the system's NAS.

Can anyone tell me what kind of impact the consistent use of the VHDs is going to have on SSR incremental backups?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Afaik the VHDs would be included in each incremental backup.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you implemented the solution yet ?

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

If that's the case, that means between 4 to 6 GB will be sent off to the NAS with each back-up.

With 12 back-ups per day, I think I'm going to run out of storage long before I get more than a few desktops set up...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If you enable compression you'd be able to save some megabytes. But the problem is the requirement for hourly backups of the desktops, which is, frankly spoken, a very strange one.

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Client is getting a new third-party application installed under 64-bit Windows 7

In the meanwhile, he has to conduct business using the 32-bit Windows XP version running in Virtual PC.

Can't get licenses for Office 2003 any longer, so documents have to be copied from virtual to desktop for editing and copied back.

Dozens of very important files are "in flight" during the day & he can't afford to lose more than 1 hour's worth of work.

I'm going to see how the first couple of PCs work out before I change the compression settings - but thanks for the suggestion.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hows that going on ?