cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Backup

Sweber99
Level 3

I am running Backup Exec System Restore 2010 on my server. I need to be able to back SQL and it does not appear to be doing so. Is there an add on in order to perform this. Or am I just missing a step.

8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6

For backing up SQL you require the SQL agent license to be installed. Go to tools-->Install Options and licenses and check if SQL license is present.

Sweber99
Level 3

All I have is the tools option. Nothing about licenses. When I click on tools my options are: Manage backup

Run granular restore, Run recovery point browser, copy recovery point, copy my hard drive, create custom recovery disc.

I am willing to bet this license does not exist for this server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...another way around this is to create an SQL dump to disk and then back up the *.bak file...

Otherwise check under the Help menu and see if there is an option in there to enter in a license key...

Sweber99
Level 3

Yes there is an option to change the license key. This is the route we are looking at. Wasnt sure if there was something we were missing. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Otherwise thank you for the help.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that's where you would enter in the license key, which you'd have to get from a reseller or the Symantec licensing department.

This unlocks the option of backing up SQL directly, and when live.

Dev_T
Level 6

Yes there is an option to change the license key.

Please check if SQL license is present

ARemboldt
Level 3
Employee

Are you actually using Symantec System Recovery (SSR), formerly called Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) for this backup? 

If so, it is an imaging product, and protects the entire drive on a sector by sector basis rather then specifically backing up SQL MDF and LDF files as you might see in the Backup Exec Agent for SQL server.

criley
Employee Accredited

I am running Backup Exec System Restore 2010 on my server.

This was the first comment in this thread. You are using BESR and there is no such thing as a SQL license for BESR.

As per the above comment, BESR backs up at the sector level. Dumping the SQL database to disk might be a better option.

It really depends on what you need to do in terms of restore functionality....