cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL writer error: Backup type 5 not supported BESR 8.5.1

picha
Not applicable
 Hello,

I have an issue backuping desktop stations with SQL database.
In my console ( Management console) there is no error but when I check the log of BESR I have this :

- "SQL writer error: Backup type 5 not supported.",
- "The Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 6 time(s).",
- "The system has called a custom component and that component has failed and generated an exception. This indicates a pro..."

BESR 8.5.1 running on Windows XP SP2 workstations
Management console 8.5.1

Is this a serious issue ?
Do you think the last release can resolve my situation?

thks

Sébastien
4 REPLIES 4

Johanvdv
Level 4
Would you mind looking into the eventviewer of the client(s) in questions : do you get any messages regarding a COM surrogate error there.

Have a look at this document :

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311809.htm

I am having this issue in combination with BESR 8.5.1 and installations of MSDE.

This is unresolved for now.

ecgnetworks
Not applicable
I am having a similar problem on BESR 8.5.5

I am not getting any errors in the BESR event log, but I am getting "SQL writer error: Backup type 5 not supported" in the Windows System Event Log everyday.

I am using this product at a couple of other locations and am not getting this error.  The only difference at the location that I am getting the error at is that I am backing up to a Dell RD1000 removable cartridge drive.

I am wondering if that is what is causing the error.  My backups do seem to be completing successfully regardless of this error however.  It is just annoying to get one of these errors in the event log everyday.

criley
Employee Accredited
ecgnetworks:

Have you tried the workaround as listed in the document below?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/311809

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
This is an error you are seeing because of "MSDE writer" used for backups of SQL 2005 instances. Please note that "MSDE writer" is an old VSS writer, which is not capable of doing differential backup or "backup type 5". Hence, MSDE writer should not be used for carrying out differential backup. Also, MSDE writer is the default writer used by VSS and not SQL VSS writer(2005 writer). Hence, the solution is to disable MSDE writer and start SQL server writer. SQL 2005 writer now comes as a service, which needs to be started after you have made sure that MSDE writer is disabled. In order to disable MSDE writer for newer SQL instances, following steps can be taken:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Settings
Value: “MSDEVersionChecking” DWORD

When this registry value is set to a non-zero value (by default this registry value does not exist, which is the equivalent of being 0), the MSDE writer will automatically ignore all SQL Server 2005 instances during the writer metadata enumeration phase

So, set this value to non-zero(1) and then MSDE writer would get disabled for SQL 2005 instances. Once done, go ahead and start "SQL server VSS writer" service from services applet, make sure it is set to automatic.
Following document would be helpful, if you need more information on this;
http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/7/a/47a548b9-249e-484c-abd7-29f31282b04d/SQLWriter.doc

Please mark it a solution, if this information is useful.

Thanks