cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SR 2013 - Generating Excessive eMail Alerts & Error Code Info Needed

dmagnant
Level 3

Hello,

I am running System Recovery 2013 Virtual Edition (11.0.2.49853) on a number of Windows Server 2013 Hyper-V Guests.  I have the client software configured to generate email alerts for medium and high priority failures.  In the past two weeks three of the guest VMs have generated errors which have resulted, in the case of two, the generation of 36 email alerts within 37 seconds, and in the case of the third, the generation of 48 email alerts within 57 seconds.  This extreme redundancy of email alerts is something I do not recall experiencing in the past. 

The two systems that generated 36 email messages indicated error E4BD0012 with no further explanatory detail either in the email message or the event log.

The system that generated 48 email messages indicated error E7D10017 and EC8F1F61 for the high and medium priority messages respectively.  This error indicates a failure to delete an offsite backup file.

Regarding the above I have three questions:

1.) By what logic is it necessary to generate 30 to 50 repeititive email messages within a one minute span and, more importantly, is there some way to throttle this behavior?

2.) Does Veritas have any further information on error code E4BD0012?

3.) Regarding the E7D10017 and EC8F1F61 errors, nothing has changed with regard to the offsite backup NAS or the authentication used to access it.  The error messages points to a specific file, which is present.  Is there any reason this error should suddenly pop up?  The system has been backing up in this configuration without issue for nearly two years.

Thank You,

Dale

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited
  1. There is no way to throttle it I'm afraid. The following log file may provide more details/clues - \ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Logs\Symantec System Recovery.log.txt
  2. The only 'hit' I could find on our knowledgebase for that error is this (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000087625). Not sure how relevant it is though.
  3. Again, the above log file may give more clues ..

dmagnant
Level 3

Chris,

Thank you for the response.  I took a look at the log file you referenced, unfortunately it did not add any further detail.  I did however show that the E4BD0012 error occurred in the midst of pruning on-site backup files (whereas the E7D10017 and EC8F1F61 error codes occurred while pruning off-site backup files).

It's too bad there isn't some kind of smart sensing on the SMTP alert sender - this is at the very least annoying behavior and potentially troublesome from a spam flagging perspective.

Anyhow, thanks again,

Dale

criley
Employee Accredited

If you attach the log file that shows the errors, I can take a look at it for you..

dmagnant
Level 3

Chris,

Per your suggestion I have uploaded the log file from two virtual servers, vLynx and vFox.  In the vLynx log you will see entries dated 7/11/2016 that contain the E7D10017 and EC8F1F61 error codes.  In the vFox log you will see entries dated 7/8/2016 that contain the E4BD0012 error codes.  In these logs you will see two NAS devices referenced, QNAP-B5 which is always configured as the primary backup destination and QNAP-GMA which is configured as the off-site backup destination.

Thank You,

Dale

criley
Employee Accredited

Where did you upload the logs? You can attach them when you post in this thread..

dmagnant
Level 3

Chris,

Strange - I did the file attach while replying using the file attachment option at the bottom of the text reply box.  Everything seemed to go ok.

I tried it earlier this morning and got a Veritas web site down for maintenance indicator.

I just tried it again a few minutes ago and the web site crashed while attaching the second file.

I'll try again later today.

Thank You,

Dale

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you zip them into a single file and try attaching that?

dmagnant
Level 3

Trying the log file attachment again -

dmagnant
Level 3

And the second log file...

dmagnant
Level 3

Chris,

The two log files are now attached.  It seems that if I tried attaching two files in one response it would crash the web page. 

For what it's worth, I had two different servers generate the EC8F1F61 (cannot remove offsite copy) error code last evening, generating about 8 emails for one server and 26 for the other.

Thank You,

Dale

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the logs. We are in the process of moving to a new forum platform so I won't follow up on the crash when attaching 2 files.... let's hope that issue is not seen when the new forum goes live.

Regarding the error E4BD0012, what version of SSR is running on this machine? I would recommend updating the version to 11.1.6 (R2 SP6) to see if that issue goes away.

Regarding the other error when it says it cannot remove the offsite copy recovery point, have you checked to see if the recovery point (v2i) still exists on the offsite location? I'm just curious if this is a 'cosmetic' error or not. Recent example:

7/11/2016 22:38:47 PM Medium Priority Warning: Error EC8F1F61: Cannot remove offsite copy \\qnap-gma\vlynx\vLynx_D_Drive052.v2i. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)
7/11/2016 22:38:48 PM Medium Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F60: Removed offsite copy \\qnap-gma\vLynx\vLynx_D_Drive052_i001.iv2i because primary image was deleted. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)
7/11/2016 22:38:48 PM Medium Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F60: Removed offsite copy \\qnap-gma\vLynx\vLynx_D_Drive052_i002.iv2i because primary image was deleted. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)