cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRD credentials

Liviu
Level 3

I am a beginner, testing System Recovery 2013 R2 Desktop edition. I created a SRD on Win 7. I boot a computer with SRD (Windows XP on it, no System Recovery installed). testing purpose is cold backup and remote recovery. from the System Recovery on Win 7 I try to connect to SRD. it asks for credentials. I do not know which credentials to introduce. please, help.

thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

There is nothing within the product that allows you to do this (we used to include pcAnywhere but Symantec unfortunately end-of-lifed that product).

If you are using SSR with servers that have remote insight boards (i.e. HP iLO), you could use this solution.

However, for desktops/laptops, this clearly is not an option. The only solution I know that should work for this is UltraVNC.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

criley
Employee Accredited

from the System Recovery on Win 7 I try to connect to SRD

Not sure why you are trying to do this? Can you explain please?

Liviu
Level 3

thank you for reply! for remote recovery purpose, from a remote location. but first I try from inside the network, to learn the steps.

criley
Employee Accredited

For remote recovery, you need to browse to the backup files (know as recovery points). Your comment is really the wrong way round ...

In other words:

• Run a backup (via SSR or via the recovery disk)
  • Boot machine using recovery disk
  • Browse to location where recovery points are stored
  • Run restore

Hope that helps.

Liviu
Level 3

is it possible to connect to SRD from a remote location ? that was my question. thank you very much!

criley
Employee Accredited

Do you mean - can you remote control the SRD session from a remote location?

Liviu
Level 3

YES!

criley
Employee Accredited

There is nothing within the product that allows you to do this (we used to include pcAnywhere but Symantec unfortunately end-of-lifed that product).

If you are using SSR with servers that have remote insight boards (i.e. HP iLO), you could use this solution.

However, for desktops/laptops, this clearly is not an option. The only solution I know that should work for this is UltraVNC.

Liviu
Level 3

please, excuse my lack of knowledge. as I know , it is possible to control another computer from the System Recovery 2013 R2 Desktop edition, from the Computers tab (where you can add other computers for remote management). this is not applying to SRD session as well?

criley
Employee Accredited

this is not applying to SRD session as well?

It does not apply to the SRD session I'm afraid.

Liviu
Level 3

we have here only desktops and laptops, NO servers. some computers have Windows XP.  I am testing System Recovery 2013 R2. I was thinking about cold imaging the XP computers with SRD (because it is not possible to install R2 on XP). in case I am out of office I want to be able to perform a remote recovery from home for example to the XP clients using SRD. is this possible?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It is but you have to customize the WIM file and the SRD internal scripts.

Liviu
Level 3

thank you, but I do not know how to do that, unfortunately.

Liviu
Level 3

I do not understand, I have been reading about recovery from remote locations using System Recovery. is this only for servers, not for desktops?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I see, you talk about the lights-out recovery feature (Userguide page 66 https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000004310). Have a look there.

criley
Employee Accredited

LightsOut Restore is an option..... but you still need the ability to connect to the machine!

As I said before, the only option available is to use UltraVNC - this replaces the pcAnywhere functionality that used to be in the product. UltraVNC is not incorporated into the product though and is not something that we officially support.

Liviu
Level 3

referencing to LightsOut Restore from remote location, on page 84 of the english User Guide of System Recovery is : Use the RILO or the DRAC device to connect to the remote server so you can recover a file or system from a remote location. Then you can turn on the system or restart it. Open the boot menu as the remote server starts, and then select the name that you have given to Symantec System Recovery Disk. The remote server boots into Symantec System Recovery Disk and the connection through RILO or DRAC is lost.

there is something unclear for me: when the connection through RILO is lost, there is a connection to LightsOut Restore directly? thank you!

Liviu
Level 3

I want to mention that I am not searching for a video coonection like in PcAnywhere or UltraVNC, but I would prefer a data connection directly to the recovery environment (the same way you can connect to another computer from System Recovery, in Computers tab). as I said, I am beginner, please, excuse my confusion.

criley
Employee Accredited

Since you do not have RILO or DRAC (you confirmed already), not sure why that section would be relevant to you?

You only need a 'data' connection - what exactly are you planning to do with this? As already mentioned, this is not possible. UltraVNC is the only option unless you have DRAC or RILO.

Liviu
Level 3

I am not sure if I understood correctly from the userguide, but there would be possible some kind of direct data connection to the LightsOut Restore environment? 

I do not need RILO or DRAC because there are no servers, and because there is a person in the office who can boot the system into LightsOut Restore environment. I just need remote access to the LightsOut Restore environment or Recovery Disc. 

Data connection for a recovery of a computer in the office from home, for example.