cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 Desktop Edition - Exclude file or directories?

thatdude
Level 2

I can't seem to find the setting for excluding files or directories from the backups. I assume this is possible with SSR 2011. If not is will this be added in the future? This is a critical feature in my opinion.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

IF you use the drive based backup type, this option is not available. If you use file and folder backup, this option is available.

thatdude
Level 2
I used the file/folder backup and don't see the option to either select folders to exclude or use regular expressions or something simar to exclude files or directories. For example if I have a directory with 50 sub directories and I want to backup 35 of those directories it appears that I have to add each folder for the 35 I want included which then technically excludes the other 15. This is not scalable. I would like the option to deselect subfolders or files within a drive or directory. Better yet I would like the ability to use expressions and wildcards to exclude files. For example it would be nice if I could tell users to createa directory named donotbackup and anything placed in the directory is excluded. The other option is to include a donotbackup.txt file in every directory you don't want backed up. This allows for dynamic policies to be created. By the way is the data de-duplicated?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

No dedup afaik. You could post your suggestions in the idea section, maybe Symantec will consider them for a later release of SSR:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/ideas

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I kindly ask you to mark this post as solved ? Thanks !