cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 - Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred at .\DiskGroup.cpp 1974.

alex_rose
Level 4

Hi,

I'm getting the following error when incrementals try to run on SSR 2011:

Notification Type: Error
Priority: High
Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (C:\).
 Error EC8F040B: Cannot create incremental recovery point of C:\ drive.
  Error E0BB0083: Unable to create incremental recovery point.
   Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred at .\DiskGroup.cpp 1974.
Details: 0xE0BB0083

The images are being written to a 5TB NAS box. 3 servers are being imaged, each to their own share on the NAS. All shares on the NAS have the same settings. 2 servers work absolutely fine but the 3rd continually fails with the above error.

The version of SSR is 10.0.0.39952

All servers are Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2.

Any ideas anybody.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried to reboot the server ? When this error occurs a reboot helps in my case.

alex_rose
Level 4

Hi Markus,

I've tried rebooting but this doesn't solve the problem unfortunately.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have the backups ever worked? This error indicates the problem with incrementals - does the base image ever get created?

Also, is there any other backup software running on this particular server?

alex_rose
Level 4

The backups have worked, we recently upgraded from BESR 2010 to 2011 as the upgrade was covered by our maintenance/support agreement but I've checked and both scheduled base and scheduled incrementals have been working both before and after the upgrade.

Backup Exec 2010 Remote Agent is running on the server but it's also running on the other 2 server which are not having this problem. I've also been quite careful with my scheduling such that the backup jobs do not run at the same time as the imaging jobs.

The only difference with this server is that it's a data server, and as such there's nearly 1TB of data being imaged, the other 2 servers are about 400GB and about 250GB.  Is this likely to affect things at all?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

And you had no failures at all with BESR 2010? The only thing that changed on this system was an upgrade to 2011? Did the backup job itself change?

alex_rose
Level 4

I did have occasional failures with BESR 2010 but I've kind of come to expect that BESR/SSR will just fail a few times a month for no discernable reason which is why I never chased it down. But this latest problem has been going on for long enough now that it really needs looking at.

The job didn't change, it's a full image with bases running each weekend and incrementals during the week. Any ideas?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I asked another customer to start a fresh job. Can you try the same, just to rule out the possibility that SSR is tripping on something in the job that was migrated from BESR>SSR?

• Stop the Symantec System Recovery and the Generic Mount Services.
  • Go into SSR and delete the backup job.
  • Go to the C:\Users\All Users\Symantec\RPAM folder and delete everything in there.
  • Go to the C:\Users\All Users\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\ and delete the 'history' and 'schedule' folders.
  • Restart the SSR and Generic Mount services.
  • Create a new share on the NAS.
  • Create the new backup job in SSR, pointing the backups to the new share. (Do not delete the old backup destination off the share as that is your last known good backup for this server)

alex_rose
Level 4

Thanks Andy, I'll give that a try later today before tonight's backup. I wono't know if it's successful until I check in again on Monday morning but I'll give you guys an update then.

alex_rose
Level 4

Sorry about the delay coming back to you. It took a few days to get a full base before I could see if the incremental was running properly (the problem with the full base is that there's a BE job that runs on this server as well so I had problems finding a time window that would work on a week day).

Lst night's incremental ran fine, I'll monitor for a few more days and if I get a weeks worth of incrementals in a row I'll mark this as solved.

Thanks for your help.

alex_rose
Level 4

Damn! Same error happened during last night's incremental:

-----Original Message-----
From: SSR-Server-D@gclaw.co.uk [mailto:SSR-Server-D@gclaw.co.uk]
Sent: 11 July 2011 19:18
To: reports@gclaw.co.uk
Subject: High Priority Failure Notification (Error) from Symantec System Recovery on SERVER-D

Date: 11/07/2011 19:18:04

Notification Type: Error

Priority: High

Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (C:\).

Error EC8F040B: Cannot create incremental recovery point of C:\ drive.

Error E0BB0083: Unable to create incremental recovery point.

Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred at .\DiskGroup.cpp 1974.

Details: 0xE0BB0083

criley
Employee Accredited

Alex,

I think that you have probably reached a point where you need to open a case with support so that this can be looked at in more detail. We'll need to analyze the debug logs to see what is going on here..

If you do open a case, please make sure that the engineer involved is aware of this thread.