cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 Management - Restore a PC

TeleFragger
Level 5

Ok I have SMP 7.1 SP2 installed with SSR 2011 installed.

On my client machine i have the agents setup and confugured. In addition I have my destination configuration, backup policy and all working my 2 test machines are now backing up nightly.. so all is good...

so now what??

sorry for the lack of knowlege on this part.. I have used Recovery solution.. we have a thumb drive where we boot up for recovery solution and it goes..

when reading through the docs for SSR... they seem to be pointing to stand alone install of SSR...

Trying to follow the doc for mounting a v2i file to look inside wasnt getting me anywhere.. so searching here I am finding that in a managed environment this is not possible... ok...

so to restore a drive then... where do i get the boot media for that?

appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

What exactly are you trying to restore here? An entire machine? Just one volume?

If you are trying to do a remote restore of an entire machine, you need the LightsOut Restore option. This basically installs a copy of the SRD (recovery disk) on a partition on the client machine and allows the machine to be booted into the recovery environment to perform a restore.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TeleFragger
Level 5

i am under the assumption that i will need Symantec Recovery Disk CD.. now i have to search to figure out where it is located.. interesting the documentation does not list this.. it tells you where to use it but no note on where to get it...

not that i can see

TeleFragger
Level 5

side note to this.. i installed the management agent without user interface... i just took one of my test machines and installed the management interface.. now i can see that there is a local client console...

so what is the point of the no client interface if you cant restore a client computer without it????

criley
Employee Accredited

What exactly are you trying to restore here? An entire machine? Just one volume?

If you are trying to do a remote restore of an entire machine, you need the LightsOut Restore option. This basically installs a copy of the SRD (recovery disk) on a partition on the client machine and allows the machine to be booted into the recovery environment to perform a restore.

Hope that helps.

TeleFragger
Level 5

Thanks Chris...

yeas my original problem is I knew NOTHING about this... where i was lost at was that I had successful backups... recovery point full and incrementals... but how do you get them to the machine..

since we are a RS customer.. we havent converted our licenses i was unaware of the SRD... I now have the SRD and was able to fully replace a drive in my computer and restore it. works good..

i still have a question...instead of starting a new thread will ask here unless a new one is needed...

so if you do a new full on the first of every month.. then incrementals for the rest of the mont...

on the 28th the computer dies... to get it back to a full state...

restore from Full.. then each incremental in order till you are caught up????

doesnt seem right... while SSR has a nice gui and what seems nice features.. RS did a better job at this.. light, compact, simple.... 

thanks for your thoughts on the incrementals...

criley
Employee Accredited

on the 28th the computer dies... to get it back to a full state...

restore from Full.. then each incremental in order till you are caught up????

No, you just need to select the system index file (.sv2i) when doing the restore. This will ensure that the entire 'set' is restored.

Hope that helps.