cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 Virtual Edition

alex_rose
Level 4

Hi,

I went to download the trial version of SSR 2011 Virtual Edition and it presented me with the same file that you download for SSR 2011 Server Edition.

Is this correct that they are the same software?

If they are the same then how does the "Virtual" edition work? Do I just back up the Hyper-V host and then restore VHDs as and when needed or do I get some ability to choose which guests are backed up and restored? Or do I have to install remote agents into every guest OS?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

That depends...

1. If you have purchased the virtual edition; you would want to install SSR into each guest machine and back them up individually
  2. If you only have the server edition license, you would just backup the host (entire machine - including all guests)

The big advantage of the first option is that you can perform granular restores from inside each guest machine. You don't get that option with #2.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, it's the same software.

Essentially the virtual edition is a cost-effective way of protecting your virtual environment. It is licensed per host and allows you to install SSR on an unlimited number of guest machines running Windows server operating system.

Hope that helps.

alex_rose
Level 4

So I have to install a RA into each guest and on each host?

criley
Employee Accredited

That depends...

1. If you have purchased the virtual edition; you would want to install SSR into each guest machine and back them up individually
  2. If you only have the server edition license, you would just backup the host (entire machine - including all guests)

The big advantage of the first option is that you can perform granular restores from inside each guest machine. You don't get that option with #2.

alex_rose
Level 4

Thanks Chris.