cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 issues

Shearline
Level 3

Good Afternoon

I have been attempting to get a 2003 SP2 x64 server recovered onto a different machine. I have tried numerous times using the SRD's that I made earlier today (one English and one Multilingual) but i've had no success with either as both stop at the "Windows is loading files" screen.

The oddity is that the discs work perfectly fine on my machine, but not onto the one that I am wanting to use as the new server box - both are the same machines in near enough all respects (bar a little bit of extra RAM in my machine) so there shouldn't be any real concieveable reason why it isn't working. I have also tried switching the machine out with a same spec but different batch machine with again no luck. We have a 4th machine currently working on a Server 2008 R2 enviroment, so the machines can take the server software.

Would there be any particular reason why they are not working? I've even resorted to using older versions to get this sorted but to no luck - the most success I have had is with the Ghost suite, but that still will not restore the backup correctly (which it isn't meant for admittedly).

Should I try the SRD being on a memory stick rather than on a CD?

Many thanks

Shearline

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shearline
Level 3

Good Morning

Apologies for the time its taken - We managed to figure out what was causing the issues - it seems that our hardware was too "new" for the software to understand. We have installed the software on a older machine without issue.

Many thanks for the assistance received!

Regards

Shearline

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Just wired thoughts: Change to CD/DVD drive from the working machine to non working machines, re-burn the SRD with the lowest speed possible, are there any UEFI bios settings different, is there at least 1024 GB of RAM in the machines, do you have a custom or a standard SRD ?

Shearline
Level 3

The only difference between the machines is mine has an older motherboard - all the machines have 4GB ram minimum, the CD was burned using the Server Recovery System software, and it is custom as far as having the device network drivers on and thats about it.

I did try using an external dvd drive but again that didn't work.

Shearline
Level 3

Ok - after a quick chat to Symantec's tech support, it turns out the SRD doesn't work on certain models of PC if more than 2GB of RAM is installed - however, I am coming across another issue - it keeps asking for drivers for devices that aren't attached to the machine - on a Recover Anywhere enviroment this is a bit worrying, since the server and PC are completely different bits of kit. 

If i ignore them, it gets to around the 15-16% mark before falling over with the following message:

Error E0BB0061: Win32/Win64 API

[WindowsComputer::AddMountPoint]

SetVolumeMountPointW (K:\, \\?\Volume{5b48837d-2526-11e2-bbd0-08e5f2d5740}\) failed

Error 00000091: The Directory is not empty

Might have to get back on the phone to them on Monday about this!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

This error would suggest that there is already something present on K:, can you confirm this ?

Shearline
Level 3

Hello Markus

The K:\ drive was the USB memory stick that I was using to store the server drivers that the Recovery Software was asking me to use - niether of the drives that I am attempting to recover are based on those letters, so it shouldn't be requesting to use the space.

I have gone further back in the server's backup history to see if the issue was just the backup I was attempting to recover from - I am still also getting driver requests, even though I'm asking it to restore anywhere with the windows mini setup turned off (which we have had issues with in the past). I have attempted to install the correct drivers when prompted, to which i get no success. Pressing ignore allows the recovery to start, only for it to not then boot into the OS.

I have asked it not to prompt for drivers/delete existing drivers as well - I still get the same issue..

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm do you see the K: drive listed on the drives tab of the ssr console ? You might also select show hidden drives.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Please update !

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Good to hear, so please mark this post as solved !

Shearline
Level 3

Good Morning

Apologies for the time its taken - We managed to figure out what was causing the issues - it seems that our hardware was too "new" for the software to understand. We have installed the software on a older machine without issue.

Many thanks for the assistance received!

Regards

Shearline