cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

SSR 2011 not showing failed or missed backups.

Denus
Level 4

Hi,

I'm using a SSR 2011 Management Solutions.

Here i've setup 2 policy's and 1 filter, meaning that a client receives 2 Backup Jobs.

Through the Management Agent the SSR 2011 on the client does receive its Jobs.

Each Jobs has a different destination.

When the first Job has been done succesfully but the second Job has failed.

It reports to the home screen that the system has been fully backed up.

The Jobs are running every week, but i found a Computer that had missed a job for half an year without reporting that it has missed a job.

How do i change this that every missed or failed job is reported.

With Kind regards and thanks in forward,

Dennis Velthuis

31 REPLIES 31

Denus
Level 4

I installed SP3 on a client, after i rebooted the computer i immedietly recieved an At Risk error (simular to: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155022 (also mentiond 2 posts ago)) on the Management Solution.

I resetted the agent with the Button in the agent itself, but the error still remained.

I tryed to send its basic inventory (with the agent on the local machine) but the timestamp won't update.

I stopped the 'Symantec System Recovery' service in services.msc.

also stopped the 'Symantec Management Agent' service.

I started the 'Symantec System Recovery' application and wait till it completes getting information.

I start the 'Symantec Management Agent' service again (icon in tray pops up again).

I click the reset agent button (Just to make sure).

I checked the error on Management Solutions and it still remains.

I clicked te Send button to send its basic inventory (this time the timestamp does update).

I checked the error on Management Solutions and it is gone.

Denus
Level 4

I received an error (attention needed) from another computer that a backup has not run for a long time (18 days ago).

I logged into that computer and the backups did run succesfully (4 days ago).

I conclude that with a minimum of 4 days length, the agent has repoted false information.

My actions:

I tryed to reset the agent with the button in the application.

I tryed to send the basic inventory.

I stopped and started the service: 'Symantec Management Agent'.

I sended the basic inventory.

the error was cleared on Management Solutions.

Denus
Level 4

Sometimes when i randomly check SSR2011 on a client. It runs through the first-time startup screens. Accepting the terms and asking to run live update etc.

This is not a SP3 client.

Edit: It has reported the backup that has been done 4 days ago.

But not the backup 2 days ago.

It did send it's inventory yesterday.

I had to stop/start both services again, else SSR2011 won't startup (holds on connecting).

since the services had been restarted, the timestamp of the basic inventory sending remains the same.The reporting to the Management solution was correct now. I don't know what updated it.

Denus
Level 4

Another Computer failed to report properly.

The computer was rebooted unexpectedly, Solution Manager threw an error (At risk) after the Computer was rebooted again. (Enum error: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155022)

I logon to the computer and noticed that the system tray icon of SSR2011 didn't had warning (simular to attention needed, at risk, backup up, running backup, etc.)

I tryed to double-click the icon to open SSR2011 but it won't start, right-click and a grey menu pops up without components to choose from.

I only stopped the VProSvc service and SSR2011 started up immediately (VProSvc was started automatically).

The last local backup was 17/04, should be 15/05. It missed 3 backups without warnings to Management Solutions.

I've searched for the changelog of SP3:

2823129: VProSvc goes unresponsive / locks when NIC cable to network share unplugged at 6%-7%.

Maybe this is the causing problem.
I thought the restart of VProSvc should solve the problem since there is local no warning visible.

But after a couple of hours it still gives the At Risk error.

The inventory was also send less then an hour ago (45 min).
Error still remains.

Clicked the reset Agent button. Error remains.
Clicked Send Inventory. Error remains

Restarted services: Symantec System Recovery & Symantec Management Agent. Error Remains.

Clicked the reset Agent button. Error remains.
Clicked Send Inventory. Management Solutions reported the computer was backed up.

That is incorrect because 1 job had missed 3 times.

Denus
Level 4

On the Computer where SP3 is installed:

VProSvc freezes while making an backup. (Offsite without validation)

So my guess that VProSvc should be fixed in SP3 is wrong.

Denus
Level 4

Is there any progress here?

Are there already some answers?

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

It seems that you have multiple issues here. To ensure I understand everything, can you please recap in bullet points the current issues you are facing?

Denus
Level 4
  • VProSvc freezes (also on SP3), resulting that the console won't work properly
  • Symantec Management Agent freezes (not reporting properly to server)
  • Symantec System Recovery Details, Events, <Unknown result name 'INFO_NUM_TEXT> (also on SP3)

criley
Employee Accredited

Symantec System Recovery Details, Events, <Unknown result name 'INFO_NUM_TEXT> (also on SP3)

This should be fixed in SP2 for SSR-MS (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155022). It seems you are already on SP2 so this will need a formal support case opened.

Symantec Management Agent freezes (not reporting properly to server)

You need to ensure the agent is up-to-date. From your earlier post ('Symatec Management Platfom 7.1 SP1 (v7.1.6851)'), you are not on the most recent version of SMP.

VProSvc freezes (also on SP3), resulting that the console won't work properly

Can you explain this one in more detail please? What happens exactly? How many client machines are affected? etc etc

Denus
Level 4

VProSvc freezes (also on SP3), resulting that the console won't work properly

Can you explain this one in more detail please? What happens exactly? How many client machines are affected? etc etc

Received on the server: "Backup Status: This computer is at risk."

1) I checked the machine and tryed to open the Console, through the tray icon.

2) Nothing happend so i tryed to stop the service: "Symantec System Recovery", but it failed.

3) I stopped the process: "VProSvc.exe" (Needed to "End Process" twice to acutally stop it).

4) Because I tryed to open the console many times, it started up many times.

To me it is a common problem that reoccurs many times, so i can't give you the exact number of machines affected, but it happens at least 3 times a week on different machines (we have 240 machines running SSR).

criley
Employee Accredited

So it sounds like the service is going into a 'hang' state.

Again, this is not something that can be worked on via the forums - please open a support case for this.

Denus
Level 4

As too many offsite backups failed and vprosvc.exe becomes into a 'hang' state.

Local backups were fine though.

I do not continue on this issue anymore, because were installing SSR 2013 now.

We only use the local backup feature of it. (The one that doesn't fail).

Making an own script to do the offsite copy job (SSR doesn't retry a BackupJob).