cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 on SBS 2011 - Exchange Says Not Backed Up

JoePrecious
Level 2
Partner

We've installed Symantec System Recovery 2011 on a new SBS 2011 server and created a single standard job that backs up both drives in the server (C: and G:, with the Exchange databases being on G:).

This job appears to have been running fine for some time.  However, we just ran the Exchange Best Practices Analyser and itis reporting that Exchange has never been backed up.  Looking at the properties of the mail store confirms this.

I've doubled checked on a similar setup we have with SBS 2008 (so Exchange 2007 and BESR) and this reports correctly that Exchange has been backed up.

Is this new behavior correct or is there a problem with my backup that I need to check?  I did try and use the GRO to see if I could restore from Exchange but this requires Outlook and I don't want to install this on the server as its not supported on SBS and we also have Blackberry Enterprise Server running on it.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure if this applies to SBS 2011 but maybe worth a look:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77180

JoePrecious
Level 2
Partner

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.  I've had a check and while I can't find a definitive answer for SBS 2011, in SBS 2008 the Exchange writer was not disabled as it was in 2003.  Additionally, listing the VSS writers on the SBS 2011 server shows the Exchange writer as being ready so I don't believe this is the issue.

Thanks anayway!

I guess the best response would be someone else using SSR 2011 on SBS 2011 so we can compare results.

Joe

criley
Employee Accredited

Is this new behavior correct or is there a problem with my backup that I need to check?  I did try and use the GRO to see if I could restore from Exchange but this requires Outlook and I don't want to install this on the server as its not supported on SBS and we also have Blackberry Enterprise Server running on it.

Have you actually tried GRO yet? It sounds as though you have not.

If you dont want to (or cant) install Outlook on your Exchange server, you'll need to install it (along with SSR of course) on another x64 machine.