cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 BSOD (blue screen) When Backing Up Server

Intelligent_IT
Level 2

We are testing Symantec System Recovery 2013 on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1, fully patched server (Hyper-V Guest, single disk volume). After installation, when we attempt to run a full server backup, the job starts, gets to 5% (progress and performance shows "snapping volumes") and then crashes the server. Blue screen states: "a wait operation, attach process or yield was attempted from a DPC routine. STOP: 0x000000B8," and down she goes!

8 REPLIES 8

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Is it observed everytime backup is started on this server or just one occurance?

-Thanks,

Pravin

Intelligent_IT
Level 2

This happens every time a backup is initiated.

Intelligent_IT
Level 2

I found a KB article with the same symptoms due to incompatibility between Acronis symsnap and Storage Craft Shadow Protect snapman. We have previously done a trial of Shadow Protect on this server. Might be a clue.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Memory.dmp from c:\windows will be required to investigate this issue. Please open a support case for further investigation and resolution of the issue.

-Thanks,

Pravin

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

It is normally not recommended to have multiple backup solutions active on same machine. It could result in conflicting drivers trying to consume same windows resources resulting in BSOD.

Please uninstall Shadow Protect as well as make sure that its drivers are also removed and retry backup using SSR.

Please let me know your observation.

-Thanks,

Pravin

Intelligent_IT
Level 2

I removed Shadow Protect before ever installing SSR. Thanks.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

We'll need memory dump for analysing the cause of this BSOD. Even if you uninstalled Shadow Protect, you can check for stale entries of its driver in c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

-Thanks,

Pravin

criley
Employee Accredited

If you have a support contract with Microsoft, I would advise you to collect a memory dump (as advised above) and get Microsoft to analyze it.

Even though the issue is seen when running a SSR backup, does not mean it's an SSR issue. Memory dump analysis will tell us more.