cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 Desktop Ed. Fails to Install

ErnieP
Level 3

Upon discovering that Ghost is being dropped and being directed to SSR 2013 Desktop as a replacement, I downloaded the Trial Edition.  Have tried 3 times to install but always get the same error: MSI 1602.  The following snippet is from the install log:

04-02-2013,11:49:34 : Property(S): MsiLogFileLocation = C:\Users\Ernie\AppData\Local\Temp\MSI94eed.LOG
04-02-2013,11:49:34 : Property(S): VersionDatabase = 200
04-02-2013,11:49:34 : Property(S): RecacheTransforms = F:\SSR\SSRx64\Install\Media\1033.mst
04-02-2013,11:49:34 : Property(S): SOURCEDIR = F:\SSR\SSRx64\Install\Media\
04-02-2013,11:49:34 : === Logging stopped: 4/2/2013 11:49:34 ===
04-02-2013,11:49:34 : The return code from the MSI is: 1602

After some digging, I discovered the MSI code stands for USERCANCEL, which I did NOT do.

Doing a search on the Symantec forums, I found an entry related to Backup Exec 2010 that says this error can occur if components of Backup Exec are already installed.  I don't have BExec installed, but I DO have Ghost 15 and Norton internet Security.  Is this the source of the problem?

Any guidance?

--Ernie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Markus is correct - SSR will fail to install if Ghost is already installed.

I have raised this internally and with the release of SP1, an appropriate message will be displayed to make it obvious why the install is failing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yep, Ghost is the problem ! You need to uninstall it before you can install SSR !

criley
Employee Accredited

Markus is correct - SSR will fail to install if Ghost is already installed.

I have raised this internally and with the release of SP1, an appropriate message will be displayed to make it obvious why the install is failing.

ErnieP
Level 3

Chris/Markus,

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Removing Ghost took care of the problem.  It installed properly and is doing backups flawlessly.

Chris, thanks for providing internal feedback.  I would recommend two other things: if Marketing is going to point Ghost users to SSR Desktop as a replacement, (1) place a BigFatNote on the SSR Desktop Trialware Web page and (2) place the same Note in the README file in the download.

Thanks again for solving my problem.

--Ernie