cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 Desktop Installation Errors

poseiden79
Level 3

I am working on replacing my Norton Ghost 15.0 with SSR 2013 Desktop and have run into an issue following the install of SSR 2013 Desktop.  The user guide says that following the application install I need to reboot my computer and then following the login there will be Post Install Setup Wizard that will run and allow me to configure my system for System backups.

I have installed the prgram twice and have yet to get this Setup Wizard to actually open up and run.  Even from the SSR Monitor app, it shows my connected drive and pc but the Connect To Console function is greyed out and doesn't work.

Does any one have any ideas what is going on?  I am installing this on a Windows 7 Pro X64 system.

12 REPLIES 12

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SSR 2013 may recognize that an existing job from Ghost 15 was configured and is using those previous settings. To verify, open SSR 2013, click ADVANCED, and click the BACKUP JOBS tab. If a job exists, right-mouse click and choose edit. If there are not any backup jobs defined, you can launch the same wizard by clicking on TASKS and selecting RUN OR MANAGER BACKUPS.

poseiden79
Level 3

Andy H, thanks for the tip and I would love to be able to do even that but the problem is, once the install is complete, I reboot my computer and when I try to launch the program following a login back to Windows, the User Interface never launches.  I see the initial load screen but then that goes away and nothing ever opens up.

It's like i am missing the UI part of the program.  Any ideas on how I can get the UI to even show up and allow me to access my ghost configurations?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you uninstall Ghost 15 before installing SSR 2013? If not, go to the control panel > 'Programs and Features', and see if Ghost 15 is still listed there. If so, uninstall it, and reinstall SSR 2013. If it isn't there, run the 2013 setup again and allow it to repair.

If all of that still fails, reply and attach this file from your computer:C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SYMANTEC SYSTEM RECOVERY\LOGS\SSRINST.HTM

poseiden79
Level 3

Yeah it has been completely removed. I even ran the Norton Clean utility to make sure and still no better.  Please find attached the file desired Andy.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I see from that log there are errors when we are making registry changes. From the installation location, right-mouse click on the browser.exe file and choose to run as administrator, and allow the setup to complete, then reboot.

poseiden79
Level 3

I have gone through and re-installed the program again, exactly as instructed, ran Browser.exe as Administrator.  Following the reboot I tried to run the program and got this error message string when trying to start the VProConsole:

Details
    Data
        System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
        Requested registry access is not allowed.
    Source
        mscorlib
    Stack Trace
           at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
           at Symantec.VPro.VProUI.VProUtils.ReadProductRegistryString(String sName)
           at Symantec.VPro.VProUI.ProtectorUtils.InitDebugging(String sDebugFilename)
           at Symantec.VPro.VProConsole.Program.Main(String[] args)
    Target Site
        OpenSubKey

Any ideas on how I can get this program to open up to the UI following an install?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks for trying that. To help speed this up, you are welcome to contact our tech support team anytime. 

https://my.symantec.com/webapp/faces/technicalSupport?casetype=cc  

Can you please repost the SSRINST.HTM, as you did before?

poseiden79
Level 3

Andy, once again please find that html file attached as a pdf file.  Please let me know what I can do to fix this.  It's really weird.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There are a couple of time we modify the registry during setup and it may be that we are not able to access the portion we need to.

Try this:

1) Go to Start / Run and type REGEDIT. Click ok.

2) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMANTEC\Symantec System Recovery

3) Right-click on the Symantec System Recovery key and select permissions

4) Click Add, then type the name of the user logged in (it appears that the username on  your machine is daddy). Click CHECK NAMES, and that name should appear. Click OK.

5) Highlight that user and put a check in "Full Control" to that user.

6) Click ADVANCED and hightlight the user. Put a check in the box Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object. Click on the EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS tab, and once again add the current user, and select FULL CONTROL if it is not already checked.  Click OK and OK and OK. 

5) Run setup again and choose to REPAIR. Allow a reboot and try to open the console again. 

poseiden79
Level 3

I have tried doin what is asked Andy especially the line "Put a check in the box Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object." and every time I try and apply the changes, I get an error saying that some of the changes cannot be saved and the checkmark for this box never stays.  I even signed into my Administrator account and tried doing this and nothing works.

Still getting the same registry errors every install and reboot.  Anything else?  What is going on with my Win 7 system?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Try doing the same thing with the SYSTEM account, ensuring that has full access. If that does not work, send me a private message. We can get support involved so they can log in and take a look.

poseiden79
Level 3

Well, no matter what I did, I could never get this to install in Windows 7.  I upgraded my system to Windows 8 Pro and no further issues.

I ran the browser.exe as Administrator and everything is online and functioning. Thanks for all of the help.