cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013: Guess I'll wait for the 1st SP

Phil_777
Level 3

I was looking forward to a few things in SSR 2013 that didn't come to pass, and there appears to be already one "showstopper" for me as described in KB article "TECH200578" - that you can't restore a folder in file/folder backup.

Just on that point alone this is going to preclude me upgrading from 2011. Is there any update on when that's supposed to be fixed?

Adding to that issue are the following issues:

Upgrade issues people are describing here

Lack of FTP as a primary backup destination (Right now I am forced to "two-step" backups to an intermediate SMB/CIFS host because I can't backup directly to an FTP destination, only as a 'secondary destination'.

No encrypted FTP support. (This is kind of crazy to expect people to backup proprietary data unencrypted over the internet, unless you are using a VPN.)

Other issues I had with 2011 that I don't know are addressed in 2013:

LiveUpdate never found any updates for our installation, even though the version I installed initially was only at the SP1 revision at most. I had to install SP2 and SP3 manually. (Platform: W2K8-R2_SP1)

SMTP notification limitations: as I recall, no ability to use an encrypted SMTP protocol for notifications, once again forcing me to potentially send sensitive log data over the internet unencrypted.

Cannot exclude files/folders from image backups. Acronis can do this, I think they do something with a 'placeholder' for the excluded files in the image, but the placeholder is a zero-byte file. Paragon's products also apparently can do file/folder exclusions. Because I have some partitions that have large 'scratch' files in them, this forces me to not backup those partitions at all. Real hassle if I have to do a disaster-recovery, which is sort-of the point of an image-backup solution to me.

Interestingly, it appears that technology to achieve this already exists in SSR2013 - here is an excerpt from the user manual:

About files that are excluded from drive-based backups
The following files are intentionally excluded from drive-based backups:
■ hiberfil.sys
■ pagefile.sys
These files contain temporary data that can take up a large amount of disk space.
They are not needed, and there is no negative impact to your computer system
after a complete system recovery.
These file names do appear in recovery points, but they are placeholders. They
contain no data.

1 REPLY 1

criley
Employee Accredited

I was looking forward to a few things in SSR 2013 that didn't come to pass, and there appears to be already one "showstopper" for me as described in KB article "TECH200578" - that you can't restore a folder in file/folder backup.

Just on that point alone this is going to preclude me upgrading from 2011. Is there any update on when that's supposed to be fixed?

I don't have any concrete news for you unfortunately. However, this is a topic that I am actively pursuing with our PM and Engineering teams. The decision is not in my hands but I am doing what I can. What I can say is that this issue is also in 2011 so it should not impact your decision to upgrade.

Lack of FTP as a primary backup destination (Right now I am forced to "two-step" backups to an intermediate SMB/CIFS host because I can't backup directly to an FTP destination, only as a 'secondary destination'.

This would be an enhancement request. Please add it here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas. Same goes for the ability to exclude files/folders from a volume-level backup. This is a long time request and I'm not sure why we still don't have it in the product.

As for the LiveUpdate issue, you sould probably log a case with support so this can be looked at.

Not great news, I know. However, please don't shoot the messenger.

Let me know if you need anything else on this.