Highlighted

SSR 2013 How to improve FTP off-site copy performance?

How can I improve off-site copy performance via FTP?

Is there any "undocumented" tuning feature or is any RFE required to achive that? 

SSR 2013 Desktop Edition is running on Windows 7 and off-site copy is sent to a remote server via FTP.

The hosts are connected through 10Gb ethernet.

Transfer rate of FTP protocol between the host is 300MB/s or more.

It is an actual rate when I tested to send SSR backup images to the remote server using a bundle ftp command of Windows 7.

However, off-site copy performance is up to around 100MB/s under the same environment. The both hosts are not so busy.

Almost 10% of network workload and 30% of disk I/O workload during the off-site copy. Much CPU/Memory resources are free.

The admin guide never describes any feature or tunables to improve the FTP performance.

I opened a Symantec case and asked about that. But the answer was "no such feature is available".

I wonder if any "undocumented" feature or tunables are implemented on SSR 2013.

Or performance improvement on FTP off-site copy will be provided by a patch or in the next release.

Any advice or information?

7 Replies

You could try the SSR

You could try the SSR Performance Keys: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH171456

Markus. My SSR 2013 would be

Markus.

My SSR 2013 would be SP2 (11.0.2.49853).

It the Performnce Keys for SSR 2013 SP1 compatible with SP2?

Please advise.

Yes.

Yes.

Markus, I tried to apply the

Markus, I tried to apply the registry file and monitor the ftp off-site backup activities for one week. But the transfer rate was almost same and never improved. According to the KB article, it would improve the off-site performance via remote filesystem. > These settings frequently improve the performance of servers saving recovery points to a network share, making the backup 2-3 times faster. So, I suppose it would never impact on off-site copy via ftp. I will test off-site copies on a remote filesystem in coming weeks and provide feedback if any difference is found between off-site copy performance via ftp and remote filesystems.

Great!

Great!

Any updates here ?

Any updates here ?

No useful data is obtained in

No useful data is obtained in the meanwhile probably because of off-site copy operations with small sized data due to incremental backup. One of full backup tasks is scheduled in this weekend with large sized data transfer. Please give me a few days for next feedback.