cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 Need Help Setting Up To Multiple USB Destinations

Realmcom
Level 3

Hi All,

I am trying this software out for a client and looking for some help on the best way to set it up.  Here is what we want to achieve:

1x Server to backup

3x 1TB USB drives to rotate for backups

Basically we want the server to be backed up daily as long as any one of the drives is connected.  Similar sort of option to the built-in Windows Server option where you can create a backup drive pool.  I have looked through the user guide but couldn't pinpoint anything helpful there (I may have missed it?)

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

With the current version of SSR (2013), the only reliable way of backing up to a set of USB drives that are being rotated, is the following:

• Have 3 x backups jobs
  • Each job uses it's own USB drive
  • Each job is an 'independent' backup (full backups only, no incrementals)

Using a single job that does full+incremental backsup, to multiple drives being rotated, is not something that is supported.

Things do change with the next version of the product (2013 R2) being released next month. This version will allow a single backup job to multiple drives on a rotation basis. You may want to wait for the release of R2 to try this out.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Realmcom
Level 3

Thanks Chris

Any signup to be notified when 2013 R2 is released?

Also suggestions on the best way to setup backup in the current 2013 version until I can upgrade to 2013 R2?  Would it be an option just to have full backup each time, and label each of the drives the same?  As long as the server is getting backed up, this is the most important thing.

criley
Employee Accredited

The R2 release is planned for first week of November. Perhaps make a note to check back here then.

Best way to backup until R2 is available? Label each drive (Monday, Tuesday etc), then create independent backups that are targeted to a specific drive. That should work until you move to R2.