cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 R2 MS is unusable because of speed of web interface

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

It has fallen to me to manage this software after my colleague left the business. However I am surprised that he ever managed to get anything done. Using the interface is like wading through treacle. A restore must have taken over an hour to initiate and then I wasn't confident that it was doing anything.

The servers are physical and exclusively used by SSR. Using the browser on the server itself rather than my PC makes no difference.

Are there any maintenance tasks that need to be performed on SQL Server or the SSR server itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I believe the powers at be are thinking of ditching the whole thing for another vendor, something that can backup windows 10 machines.

12 REPLIES 12

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

A bit more detail would be helpful here. Are all aspects of the Management Console slow or only certain things/actions?

What browser (and version) are you using?

Is the database local or remote to the MS server?

How many client machines are you managing? How much memory/processing power does the MS server have? In my experience, a lot of customers under-spec the MS server which then leads to performance issues. Start by looking at task manager on the MS server - is memory and/or CPU maxed out?

With regards your comments about ditching the product; is this because of the performance issue or are there other reasons for this?

Yes all aspects of the console are unbelievably slow, not just certain actions.

I am using Internet Explorer version 11

The database is on a different server

About 800 clients. It is a properly spec'd server 28GB 1 socket 2 cores Intel Xeon 3GHZ. Memory or CPU isn't maxed out according to task manager.

Performance as well as the inability to back up Windows 10 would be why we would look to another product.

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

Yes, that server spec should be fine so clearly something else going on here. The performance issue would need investigation. If you can open a support case and let me know the case number, I can work with you on that to figure out what's going on.

The inability to backup Windows 10? Not sure what you mean by that as this is supported (see here https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/SR_2013R2_SCL). Can you provide more detail on what you mean by this comment?

I found that any windows 10 client I had installed SSR 2013 on was not able to communicate with the Central server. I had found a number of entries on the forum suggesting that it wasn't supported. I believe that VSR 16 does work but my management are weighing up the effort to upgrade versus going to a completly different product.

If you know Win10 is supported is there an update I need to apply on top of version of SSR 2013 R2 ?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

Windows 10 is not supported with SSR 2013 but is supported with 2013 R2 (from SP4 onwards, details here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100023763.html).

Hope that helps.

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

Just wondered if you had any further questions and/or issues that still needed addressing?

I was unable to apply the SP4 update as it gave me an error. So I raised a support ticket however I was told that SSR 2013R2 was no longer supported. Which is a shame as I have not got the time to look to implementing a major Product level upgrade such as VSR 16 or 18.

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

What error do you see when trying to install SP4?

This patch cannot be installed on this computer. Please contact Symantec Customer Support for more information.

I am running Symantec_system_Recovery _11.1_SP4_Patch_64 which has a size 229,114 KB

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

Can you confirm the exact version of System Recovery that is installed on the machine where you tried to update to SP4. Go to Help/About and in there it will show the version information - please don't provide a complete screenshot of this as it will expose your license key to others.

The Management Console is showing version 7.5.3153. In Add remove programs under control panel it shows version 11.1.2.0 for the Plug-In and Platform and Solution is 8.1.6012.0

criley
Employee Accredited

@Ravi_Bhandari

I'm talking about the version of System Recovery itself, nothing to do with the Management Solution here ...

System Recovery should also be shown in add/remove programs.