cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 R2 Recovery Disk Creation Problems

Gonad
Level 4

I've just downloaded and installed the trial version of SSR 2013 R2 on my Dell XPS-8700 which is running Windows 8.1 and is FULLY up to date.

As soon as run the recovery disk creator, I get a message that says:

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive F:

I don't have a drive F: My DVD drive is set as G:

It then goes on to try accessing drives L: M: and N:, none of which exist!!!

So I thought I would bypass that step for the moment hoping that I would get the option to select the correct drive later in the process.

The next step is to select a Typical or Advanced recovery disk.

I selected Typical (default) and then got this message:

You are not creating the Symantec System Recovery Disk on the latest operating systems (Windows 8.1 Update/Windows Server 2012 R2 Update)

that are supported by the product. You can use this recovery disk to restore only Windows 8/2012 Server and earlier.

But I AM creating the SSRD on the latest operating system!!!

Any ideas please?

Alan

19 REPLIES 19

criley
Employee Accredited

Could you please provide screenshots of the errors/warnings you see.

Also, please provide the following log which may give us some clues:

\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Logs\SRDCreatorUI.txt

Gonad
Level 4

Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've uploaded the log which is about 1.6MB in size due to the same error being continuously spewed out hundreds of times!

As for screenshots, there's nothing really extra that they can show as I reported the error messages in my first message exactly as they appeared. I can upload them next time if they are really necessary.

Regards,

Alan

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

The log does not help much I'm afraid. Could you please reproduce the problem, then provide the latest version of the log file you provided before and a copy of Srelog.dbg (from same folder). Hopefully these may give some clues...

Gonad
Level 4

Latest log files attached.

The F: L: M: and N: drives I mentioned last time, do actually exist but they are hidden card reader slots/drives.

The recovery disk creator doesn't seem to detect my two DVD drives at all. They are on G: and H:

As an experiment I tried changing the drive letter for F: (the first card reader) to K: and ran the recovery disk creator again.

It ignored the two DVD drives again and told me there was no disk in drive K:

criley
Employee Accredited

What about the other error about this not being the latest operating system. Are you still seeing that?

And despite all these errors/warnings, does it still allow you to create the SRD on USB/ISO?

Gonad
Level 4

Chris,

Yes the other problem is still there.

When I get to the Media/Destination window it actually shows my first DVD drive G: only, but if I select it and try to continue I get an error message saying that there is no media in the drive.

If I open a "This PC" window, it clearly shows that there is a blank disk in the drive. I've tried a blank CD and a blank 4.7GB DVD with similar results.

Selecting the iso file option does actually work, but am I creating a fully up to date Windows 8.1 compatible recovery disk?

Alan

criley
Employee Accredited

I need to check on this. Can you go to a command prompt and type WINVER. Please post back here with a screenshot of the results.

Thanks,

Chris

Gonad
Level 4

Winver file attached.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, thanks. Let me look into this and get back to you.

I'm focusing for now on the issue where it thinks that you don't have the latest OS. Obviously there are other issues here as well.

Do you only have 1 machine with SSR installed or others as well? Just curious to understand how many machines are affected by this issue.

Gonad
Level 4

I've tested it on a laptop also running Windows 8.1 Pro but not the Media Centre edition.

It works OK on that.

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, I saw that you were using Media Centre from the screenshot you posted. I suspect that is the issue here.

Did you just add it as a feature as per the below link?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/feature-packs

Gonad
Level 4

I upgraded to the Pro Pack but I don't remember specifically adding the Media Centre.

It was just there :)

criley
Employee Accredited

I believe that the Pro Pack requires an additional license/code - is that right? If yes, are you willing to share this with me so that I can test it here? You can send me the details via secure message...

One other thing; can you run the VER command from the command prompt and share the results here (screenshot).

Gonad
Level 4

Chris,

VER gives the same results ar WINVER, i.e. 6.3.9600

I will send you my product key.

Alan

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks.

You mentioned earlier that you upgraded using the Pro Pack - did you upgrade from Windows 8 or 8.1?

Gonad
Level 4

The Pro Pack upgrade was Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro.

The Windows 8.1 update was released and installed well after that.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, I now suspect that the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 may be the cause. I will test that here and get back to you ...

criley
Employee Accredited

I've not been able to reproduce the issue here so it seems as though it's due to something specific on this machine.

Can you run the following command from the command prompt and attach bcd.txt here.

bcdedit /enum OSLOADER >c:\bcd.txt

Gonad
Level 4

File attached as requested.