cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 SRD Fails Boot on system with PERC H310 Raid Controller

StekertJ
Level 3

I'm running SSR 2013 on a Dell 64 bit Precision T3600 independent workstation with a Xeon ES-1650.0 CPU, 16 GB of RAM and containing a PERC H310 Raid adapter that controlls two 1 TB HDs currently running as independant C: and D: drives (i.e., in non-RAID configuration).  2013 succdessfully backs up the C: (boot) drive to D: in weekly sets with offsite copy.  However, attempting to restore C: from image using the 2013 SRD runs into an immediate probllem.  When attempting to boot from the CD/DVD drive (preceded by the H310 boot from bios), even before the Windows logo appears, I get a blue screen stating:

"Your PC needs to be repaired.  There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device.  Error Code 0xC00000017."

Attempting to use Lights Out produces the same result..  I attempted to customize the SRD with the H310 driver (percsas2.sys), but the SRD Wizard would not accept the .sys file.

So I have two questions:  1. Could the problem be caused by something other than the H310?  2. If the probllem is the H310 controller (none of my other systems without controllers have SRD recovery problems), is there a fix short of removing the H310?

-- Jim

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From the Utilities tab of the SRD, are you able to choose the option "Load a driver" and then load the H310 driver ?

StekertJ
Level 3

From the Utilities tab of the SRD, are you able to choose the option "Load a driver" and then load the H310 driver ?

No, I'm not.  During the SRD creation, I tried to customize it with the fIle percsas2.sys (the only H310 driver of which I'm aware), but the wizard refuses to accept it.  When trying to boot the system with the SRD from the DVD drive, I never get to the SRD menu.  The blue screen I described immediately appears, leaving no working option but rebooting the system (see atatchment).

-- Jim

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Doesn't seem to be a controller issue. What happens if you use the Windows DVD ? Do you receive the same error ?

This article may help as well - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0113676

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have created the SRD using "Typical method" use Advanced method to create SRD and visa versa

StekertJ
Level 3

Doesn't seem to be a controller issue. What happens if you use the Windows DVD ? Do you receive the same error ?

This article may help as well - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0113676

Thank you for the suggestion and the article, and sorry for the response delay.  I was gone for a few days.

I tried booting from a Windows 10 installation disk (I intend to upgrade in the near future).  It successfully boots to the initial installation window and the installation apparently procedes without a problem with the same bios settings as before.  The SRD still brings up the same blue error screen.

I also looked at the referenced article.  Its description differs somewhat from the T3600 bios options.  I've attached 3 screen shots of the bios boot sequence settings:  1. the current arrangement under the Legacy settings, 2. The UEFI settings with the SRD in the DVD drive, and 3. The UEFI settings with the WIn 10 installation disk in the DVD Drive.  Other than the Legacy boot sequence, I haven't tried modifying the bios as suggestid in the article.  Dell Tech support keeps telling me this may be risky, but hasn't spelled it out in any detail.

-- Jim

StekertJ
Level 3

f you have created the SRD using "Typical method" use Advanced method to create SRD and visa versa

I think you are referring to the SSR 2013 R2 SRD sequence.  I'm still using SSR 2013, and I don't see those options in the SSD creation sequence.

-- Jim

StekertJ
Level 3

I'm also coming to the view that this isn.t primarily a controller problem.   What intrigues me is that the Windows 10 installation disk successfully boots with the current Legacy bios settings (and with the H310 present), while the SSR 2013 SRD, which, as I understand it, boots into a "mini" Windows 8 environment, fails.  Why should that be?

With this looking more like a bios problem, I have another question: how could changes in the bios settings affect the restoration of an image to a boot drive after a successful SRD boot - i.e., apart from the current boot problem, to what extent is image restoration to an accessible boot drive dependent on the bios settings or changes?

-- Jim

Dave_H1
Level 4

Jim, this is Dave from the Norton forum.

Are you really running WIndows 7 as UEFI?

StekertJ
Level 3

Are you really running WIndows 7 as UEFI?

Hi Dave,

No, I'm not.  This T3600 is and always has been operating Win 7 with the "Legacy" BIOS setting (the first screen shot).  I set the BIOS temporarily to UEFI with each of the two disks in the DVD drive just to see what would happen - with the above results.  BTW, I plan to upgrade this system to WIn 10 in the near future if we can get a handle on the restore problem.  Then UEFI could be useful.

For an additional data point, I took another look at my Dell Latitude E6520 Laptop (also running Win 7 and SSR 2013) and its BIOS (release A05).  The BIOS setup is very similar to that of the T3600 with both Legacy and UEFI settings (set to Legacy and with no RAID adapter, of course).  And there the 2013 SRD will boot successfully and (if I suspend the BitLocker encrytion) will restore the solid state boot drive.  I do not know the specific differences betheen the E6520 BIOS and that of the T3600 (release A14).

-- Jim

Dave_H1
Level 4

Thanks Jim.

I reccomend you don't disable CSM (compatibility support module).  That look like it may be a global setting and if that is the case you won't be able to boot Windows 7. (I'm looking at the 3'rd screenshot from Aug 16'th although it's a little hard to see).

Since the system is not UEFI, you don't want the OS or the recovery disk booting UEFI.

You want to boot the recovery disk as NON-UEFI.  Hit the boot menu when the system restarts and see if it shows the optical drive twice, once as UEFI and once as Non-UEFI. 

Heck, try booting the 32bit recovery disk because that one will not boot UEFI.

If you do need to change the BIOS settings, see if the CD-Rom\DVD drive can be set as legacy.

Once you get the system booting to the recovery disk you can worry about the driver for the RAID card.

Once in the recovery enviroment go to Utilities\Explorer my computer and see if the RAID drives are present. (Chances are they will not be).  When you test a driver or make the custom disk, you need to load the .inf file and not the .sys file it'self.  Thats why it didn't work before).  Just keep in mind that you'll need the windows 8 version of the driver this time.

btw- If this is the same system as before (the one you had NIC driver problems with), worse comes to worse I'll bet your custom Ghost 15 recovery disk will work.

Dave

StekertJ
Level 3

Dave,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  Also, sorry for the response delay - This week I've been pulled in several directions, all at the same time.

If, by CFM, you're referring to the Lagacy mode, I'm not disabling it.  That's the mode in which I normaly operate this system.  The only reason I ran UEFI mode was to see how the SRD and the Win 10 disk appeared in that mode before boot from the first of the two system DVD drives (the second and third screen shots respectively).  It verified what I suspected (FWIW) - that UEFI identified the Win 10 disk (shot 3) as a potential boot option, but didn't even see the SRD (shot 2).  Then I switched back to Legacy where I've been operating since.  Also, sorry for the blurry screen shots.  I've attached (hopefully) more readable versions.

Your following coments are well taken.  The problem is that I can't get to the recovery environment with either my Ghost 15 SRD or the 2013 SRD.  I get blue error screens with both.when I try to boot (in Lagacy mode).

And no, this is not the system with the NIC problem [echos from the past :)  ].  I think that was what now is my test system (a Dell XPS 630i), and I have no problem at all backing up or recovering that one with either the Ghost or the 2013 SRD.

The good news now is that it looks like Dell tech support will be coming to the rescue this coming week.  I'll keep you posted.

-- Jim