cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

SSR 2013 SRD USB Issue - Can't Map Network Drive Despite Being Able to Ping NAS

bmackey55
Level 3

I recently purchased a new laptop does not have a CD drive so a USB SRD is required. I have been unable to get SRD created that can map a network drive despite IP Config showing being issued and IP address and being able to ping my NAS device where the the backup files are stored.

I have tried the following:

1. Downloaded SSR v21 - Same result
  2. Downloaded the lastest network drivers and check to see that the Windows PE driver was exactly the same as teh Windows 10 driver that was being loaded as part of the SRD creation
  3. Building USB SRD on desktop (SSR 2013 R2) that has successfully created a DVD SRD - Same result

I have not tried the following:

1. Building an Advanced SRD
  2. Runing the Driver Validation Tool - Very hard to figure out the proper syntax

I realize support is not offered on SSR 2013 nor Trial version of SSR V21. I'm OK with buying SSR V21 if necessary to resolve the issue but I don't want to do that if it doesn't fix the issue.

What do you all recommend?

Attached are the support files from the desktop that successfully created the DVD SRD 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

akihiro1
Employee

Win32 error code 1312 means "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.".
I know the below article. 
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100048532

Could you attempt "net use n: \\NAS1\Backup /user:.\admin" or "net use n: \\<IP Address for NAS>\Backup /user:.\admin"?
I am interested in the results when using ".\admin" instead of "admin".
Mapping may be successful when using ".\admin" even in "NET USE" command.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bmackey55
Level 3

After reading this thread and the "net use" command I was able to map all my shares from other Windows 10 machines but I still can not map the shares from my Buffalo NAS. There are no credentials needed for the Buffalo NAS shares and I have confirmed that SMBv2 is enabled.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/System-Recovery/2013R2-11-1-4-55331-SRD-Network-Issue/m-p/765759

However, again the SRD DVD created several years ago show all network shares (Windows & Buffalo NAS) in the GUI.

akihiro1
Employee

Could you share your screenshots so that we can confirm the error messages when you attemp to map the network drive on the SRD?

By the way, is your NAS old? If yes, the NAS may only supports SMB version 1 for CIFS. Windows 10 version 1709 or later (Windows ADK 1709 or later) does not support SMB version 1. The SMB v1 has been disabled since Win 10 1709.

That is, the SRD cannot access the shared folder with SMB v1.

<SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10>
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/smbv1-not-installed...

<Windows ADK histories>
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install

If you would like to create a SRD that enabled SMB v1, you need to install ADK 10 1703 or eariler and create the SRD with Advanced mode. ADK 10 1703 still supported SMB v1. 

Thanks akihiro1 for your response.

I had already confirmed that SMB v2 was enabled. However, just to be safe, today I upgraded the firmware on my Buffalo LS420D to the latest from 11-28-2019. (See attached screen shot).

I have attached pictures from error messages with "net use" command. I still can not see ANY shares in the GUI, including the shares from two Windows 10 machines on the same network which were successfully mapped via the "net use" command"

Also, I have tried adding the /user paramanter "net use n: \\NAS1\Backup /user:admin <password>" this returns system error 1312

Again, all of these plus the NAS shares show up in the SRD DVD's created years ago.

Therefore, I don't see how this can be a SMB v1 support issue but if you think that's the solution I will try to create and advanced SRD with SMB v1 support

akihiro1
Employee

Win32 error code 1312 means "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.".
I know the below article. 
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100048532

Could you attempt "net use n: \\NAS1\Backup /user:.\admin" or "net use n: \\<IP Address for NAS>\Backup /user:.\admin"?
I am interested in the results when using ".\admin" instead of "admin".
Mapping may be successful when using ".\admin" even in "NET USE" command.

akihiro1, WOW what an odd workaround!

That was completely successfuly. I tried it with both the "net use" command and in the GUI after "connect using a different user name" option. Both worked successfully.

Thank you!

Any idea why GUI doesn't show any of the shares (windows or NAS)? I'm going to have to write to down some very specific instructions to keey with my USB boot drives so I will remember how to do this in the event of a catastrophic failure.

akihiro1
Employee

If you need to discuss more, could you create a new thread? Let's discuss in the thread.
I would like to know the steps you already wrote down and what is needed more.