cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 VProConsole stopped working

cyclingcpa
Level 4

I just installed 2013 SSR desktop and have defined 2 backup jobs that have worked fine.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 6.1.7600.16385

Cannot open program from system tray or task bar.

Get this error. SSR 2013 VProConsole stopped working

Error is attached.

Ghost 15 completely removed in add/remove programs.

I am dead in the water here.

Thanks.

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cyclingcpa
Level 4

To all,

Solved!

After persevering here and with Satheesh it turns out the "user.config" file was corrupted. Please see

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH168236 and section "Solution."

Thanks to Satheesh and all who offered help.

Bob

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Go to the task manager , kill the process of VProconsole.exe

Go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\SSR\Agent\ Double click on VProTray and let know if the Icon is visible and running fine

Restart the service of SSR and Symtrack service and only then launch the console for SSR ( note please do not run VProtray and immideately launch SSR console )

Hope this helps !

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Hi to All, 

I hope this narrows down the VProConsole Stopped Working issue.

Latest error message 1/24/14 4:27 PM EST

See Screen shot attached

Contents here:

Details
    Data
        System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
    Inner Exception
        Root element is missing. (C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Symantec_Corporation\VProConsole.exe_Url_kxlpbdmblx3qv0os45znoa34bnjedjqv\11.0.1.0\user.config)
        Configuration system failed to initialize
    Source
        System.Configuration
    Stack Trace
           at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
           at System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly..ctor(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, String location, Evidence evidence)
           at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, String defaultNamespace)
           at Symantec.UI.UsageAnalysis.Util.DeserializeFromXml[T](String path)
    Target Site
        GetSection

Still dead in the water here. Would like to wrap this up so I can do a test restore.

Thanks a bunch.
Bob

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

You mentioned 

Services Running

Symantec System Recovery (automatic)

SymTrackService (manual)

Not running

SymSnapService (manual)

However , SSR 2013 only has SSR service and SymtrackService.

SymsnapService is the service which remained from SSR 2011 uninstall.

You can perform a manual the following 

1. Disable SymsnapService , restart SSR and symtrackService and check if the console works.

2. Try to connect to the console from a different machine 

If you have SSR on a different machine , then go to SSR console -> Computers ( On the very top ) -> Add the computer ( Faulty machine ) -> Try to launch the console after adding and check if this works.

Hope this helps !

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Hi Traj and all, 

Still getting error "SSR 2013 2013 VProConsole has stopped working."

Still looking for solution and dead in the water here. Per your comments above:

For background I am former Ghost 15 user. Did Ghost 15 use SymSnapService?

SymsnapService is not running. See screen shot attached.

Both services Symantec System Recovery (Automatic)  and SymtrackService (Manual) were stopped and started. Both show "started."

I have only one PC.

Looking forward to a solution so I can test restore.

Thanks.

Bob

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Hi to All,

So still looking for a solution here. 

I would prefer to solve this on the forum if possible. See the post 1/23 for error message.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Should I open a case?

Thanks very much.

I appreciate your time.

Bob

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for a late reply , since you use Norton , I don't really know if Norton used "SymsnapService" however a previous version of SSR called SSR 2011 used "SymsnapService"

What you need to do is Right click on SymsnapService -> Properties -> Click on Disable -> click on OK

Also go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\win64\win64-x64

and copy the files and paste it on  C:\Windows\System32\drivers ( if 64 bit machine )

And check if it works

It it still does not work

send me the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Console\VProConsole.exe

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Hi Traj, 

Traj says

Sorry for a late reply , since you use Norton , I don't really know if Norton used "SymsnapService" however a previous version of SSR called SSR 2011 used "SymsnapService"

What you need to do is Right click on SymsnapService -> Properties -> Click on Disable -> click on OK

As noted above SymSnapService is not running and not found in   "Services."  The running            services            are Symantec System Recovery - Started (Automatic) and SymTrackService -            Started (Manuel)            See screen shot posted 27 Jan 2014.

Also go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\win64\win64-x64

Please note that SSR is not in the above location but here:

SSR is in OS(C:)\ Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\win64\win64-64

See Screen shot for location of SSR

and copy the files and paste it on  C:\Windows\System32\drivers ( if 64 bit machine )

Done. I pasted the 3 files that are on the attached screen shot.

And check if it works

Did not work.

It it still does not work

send me the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Console\VProConsole.exe

Again the location on my machine is same as above....C:\Program Files\...(not Program Files (x86)

I cannot send you this .exe file. This extensiton not accepted for upload. There are two VProConsole.exe files. See screen shot attached.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bob

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Hi Traj,

Here is a new error message as of this AM. This issue open since 21 Jan 2014. Can you open a tech support request? I am pressed for time to get this issue resolved.

Thanks for your time. 

Bob

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: VProConsole.exe
  Application Version: 11.0.1.47662
  Application Timestamp: 5177ae9f
  Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18229
  Fault Module Timestamp: 51fb1677
  Exception Code: c000041d
  Exception Offset: 000000000000940d
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 6ace
  Additional Information 2: 6ace387bdfad10536fbca667634f95ee
  Additional Information 3: 26ab
  Additional Information 4: 26abda98031dbb0ab5b86d3708132005

cyclingcpa
Level 4

HI Traj and All,

Go to the task manager , kill the process of VProconsole.exe

Done.

I have tried the following steps in this order several times without success. VProConsole.exe is not showing in processes after the following steps.

Go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\SSR\Agent\ Double click on VProTray and let know if the Icon is visible and running fine.

Done. Icon is visible Yellow triangle status "Attention Needed"

Restart the service of SSR and Symtrack service and only then launch the console for SSR ( note please do not run VProtray and immideately launch SSR console )

After killing VProConsole the SSR and Symtrack service were running. I stopped and restarted. Then ran SSR Console.

Same error message. VProConsole has stopped.

During these few attempts received this error:

Error ECB00005: File C:\Program Files\Symantec/Symantec System\Console\VProConsole_exe cannot be opened. 

Other background: I have a custom SRD. From the system tray icon "About" I have run live update and SSR is current at 11.0.1.47662 downloaded Friday 1/17/14 No VProConsole issues until 1/21/14 about 4:00 PM. I have RPS and IRP backups prior to that time.

Processes Running

VproTray.exe

Not running

VProconsole.exe (killed)

VproSvc.exe (Was running but stopped...I did not kill it )

Services Running

Symantec System Recovery (automatic)

SymTrackService (manual)

Not running

SymSnapService (manual)

Other background:

From the system tray icon I can right click and access:

"Welcome to the define Backup Wizard"

"Recover my computer"

"Options"

But when I cancel these screens I get the ominous VProConsole has stopped working.

Interesting that I can access system tray right click "Options" which signs on to VProConsole. I am now in the screen Options - Bob PC. My primary destination for backup is "A" an external hard disk and is marked "unavailable." The other EHD  "B" and "C" are unmarked so I assume that means available.

I will restart the system and see if I can get "A" the primary destination for backup to become "available."

Yes, now all EHDs are recognized.

Closing the "Options - Bob PC" still gives "SSR 2013 VProConsole has stopped working."

Backup jobs run (edited 1/23/14)

I ran a backup job from the system tray and with a right click "Run Backup Now" and green check splash screen confirmed "Succeeded" I confirmed the jobs ran by checking the backup destination A B and C above and all show incremental backup. So SSR 2013 backing up but I cannot open the program via VProConsole. I just clicked on the SSR system tray icon and the icon disappeared. I will start the service above and try and get the icon back. 

Still looking for solution. Still dead in the water. I continue to get SSR 2013 VProConsole has stopped working

Thanks and appreciate the help.

Bob

Edit comment 1/22/14 3:01PM

The Readme file says Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is needed by SSR for installation and .NET 4.0 or later required by to run SSR. SSR installation program is supposed to automatically install both .NET above on your PC if not present.

Installed on my system:

NET 4.0.30319

NET 2.0.50727 (no mention of SP2)

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for a late reply ? Have you opened a support ticket ? Did you get the issue resolved ?

Please refer the link to open a ticket : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31091

Arjun_Ale_-_AJ
Level 2
Employee Accredited

This issue got resolved by the Tech Satheesh after following below article. 

Please mark this post as resolved. 

Thanks. 

cyclingcpa
Level 4

To all,

Solved!

After persevering here and with Satheesh it turns out the "user.config" file was corrupted. Please see

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH168236 and section "Solution."

Thanks to Satheesh and all who offered help.

Bob